In what has been one of the most satisfying triumphs in recent times, Sir Alex Ferguson added another feather into the clubâ€™s already overloaded cap (forgive the clichÃ©d analogy), lifting his ninth Premiership trophy.
We’ve tried to capture the essence of the occasion and put together some quotes from the manager and players, and video of the team lifting the trophy as well as the accompanying celebrations.
The boss thanked the supporters and lavished praise on the players for making this happen. He looked several years younger when he stepped on to the pitch, the spring in his step and the desire (for more titles) still in his eyes. He described it as â€œa fantastic, wonderful seasonâ€
“It’s been a fantastic season for our club, for every one of us,” he said, addressing the United fans. “The supporters, the staff, these lads (the players), I can’t speak highly enough of them. It’s been a wonderful year and we thank you for your support. We hope now that we can add to it next season.”
However he was not to be carried away by this victory, laying down a marker for challenges ahead. To quote:
Iâ€™m already looking forward to next season,” he added. “Letâ€™s get on with it. Iâ€™m looking forward to this young team developing, maturing and going onto to win a European trophy as well as pushing for the league.
Apart from the Premiership trophy, the Red Devils have also won three other honours. Ronaldo won (yet another award in what has been a dream season) the Barclays Premiership Player of the Season. Sir Alex won the Barclays Premiership Manager of the Season while Ryan Giggs won the Barclays Premiership Merit Award.
Other players also had a few things to say.
Captain Gary Neville believed the club truly deserved the win, while getting down to his customary realism, cautioning about keeping the feet firmly on the ground, and getting down to winning the FA Cup making it a memorable double. To quote:
“There were times in the last three years where we felt really low,â€ he admitted on MUTV. â€œWe probably werenâ€™t consistent enough to win it, we didnâ€™t deserve to be champions.
“But this year we deserve it. Itâ€™s a fantastic day for the club. Itâ€™s important to savour the moment, but weâ€™ve got a huge game next week.
Wayne Rooney was as ecstatic as you would expect a lad winning his first Premiership crown to be, and said “there has been no greater feeling”:
“There’s no greater feeling out there. It’s fantastic. It’s brilliant but really hard to explain. I’m absolutely delighted, I can’t put into words, it’s unbelievable.”
“We’ve had 38 tough games so to come out on top of that league is great for us. Hopefully we won’t have to wait for another four years to win it again.”
So well done guys. Soak yourselves in glory. Get drunk. Sleep around (with your own girls preferably). Stay out of troubleâ€¦ and stay fit in time for the FA Cup final.
We leave you with the video of the celebrations that happened after the West Ham game. Cheers!
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash