Manchester United will have to splash out around £42 million to complete the signing of in-demand Brighton & Hove Albion defender Ben White.
However, the Red Devils have no intention of meeting the Frenchman’s whopping £72m release clause and are likely to turn their attention towards White.
After enjoying a stellar maiden Premier League campaign, the 23-year-old won’t come cheap, with Brighton reluctant to budge on the valuation of their most prized asset.
The Englishman could become United’s second most expensive defensive reinforcement following a massive £80m signing of Harry Maguire from Leicester City in 2019.
But the club will have to fend off fierce competition if they are to sign White, with Liverpool and several other Premier League clubs also keeping close tabs on the prodigious defender.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer seems to have managed to shore up his backline recently, with United keeping a clean sheet in nine of their last 13 games in all competitions.
Although Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly have both picked up momentum lately, the Norwegian boss remains eager to invest heavily in reinforcing his defensive options in the summer.
All-star Real Madrid duo Raphael Varane and Sergio Ramos have also emerged as potential candidates to join Maguire in the heart of United’s defence.
However, the Frenchman is no longer available on the market after Zinedine Zidane managed to convince him to commit his long-term future to the club.
Meanwhile, United’s interest in the experienced Spanish centre-back is nothing more than a rumour.
Ramos’ trophy-laden spell in Madrid is edging to a close, but the Red Devils hope to recruit a player yet to reach the pinnacle of their career.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash