Owen Hargreaves has urged Manchester United to bring in Leicester City’s Wesley Fofana and West Ham United’s rising star Declan Rice, as per the Metro.
United are set to miss out on the Premier League title, with cross-city rivals Manchester City marching towards the crown.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will try to reinforce the Red Devils’ squad at the end of the season to close the gap on the Cityzens ahead of 2021/22.
A top-class centre-back to partner Harry Maguire is high on the list of priorities, with several defenders linked with a summer switch to Old Trafford.
Although Fofana is not on the list of United’s targets, Hargreaves would like to see his former club go for the Leicester City star.
The 22-year-old has been nothing short of outstanding since arriving at the King Power Stadium from Saint-Etienne last summer.
The Foxes shelled out £36.5 million to land Fofana, tying him down to a five-year contract.
Brendan Rodgers looks desperate to keep hold of his first-choice central defender, who has enjoyed an impressive maiden Premier League season.
However, Hargreaves sees the Frenchman as a perfect long-term solution for United’s defensive problems.
“I would love to see Manchester United get Fofana,” he said.
“He is a Ferrari, honestly. I would throw whatever they have got left in the bank to get him. He is a fabulous player.”
Rice has been one of the most consistent midfielders in the Premier League over the past few seasons.
Despite being just 22, the Hammers stalwart’s maturity and composure are off the scale for a player of his age.
United and Chelsea continue to keep tabs on the highly-rated midfielder and are said to be ready to tempt West Ham into selling their standout performer next summer.
Hargreaves is desperate for the Red Devils to win that race and secure an upgrade on Scott McTominay.
“I think Rice’s upside is off the charts,” he added. “He has the potential to be anything and a lot better. I think he plays within himself at West Ham.
“People do not realise how big he is. He’s 6’3”, so he looks like a centre-back, but he is actually really good technically.
“I am not a big fan of players who just play in there and pass it around – you have to stop players too.
“Declan Rice does not have to dictate the game for Manchester United. He can pass to the players who can make the difference and be good defensively.”
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash