Manchester United have reportedly extended the contract of Timothy Fosu-Mensah until June 2021 after triggering a 12-month extension clause available to them.
The Dutchman has not made a single competitive appearance for the Red Devils since the 2016/17 campaign and he has spent the past two seasons on loan with Crystal Palace and Fulham respectively.
The 22-year-old’s existing deal with the club was due to expire at the end of June but The Independent claims that United have now taken the option to prolong his stay until next summer.
Fosu-Mensah was regarded as one of United’s brightest talents from the academy when he made his debut under Louis van Gaal, but he has not been able to progress due to injuries and competition for places.
The former Ajax graduate sustained a serious knee injury with Fulham in April 2019 and he has since failed to make any competitive appearance at the first-team level.
He has, of course, played a few games for the development squad but his chances of commanding regular playing time under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears unlikely with the current talent in the squad.
Fosu-Mensah faces stiff competition from Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot for the right-back role while Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly among others are ahead of him for the central defensive positions.
The Netherlands international does have the ability to play in the defensive midfield spot but similarly, he can only be regarded as the third-choice option behind Nemanja Matic and Scott McTominay.
Considering this, United may have extended his contract in order to preserve his transfer value rather than losing him on a free like Ander Herrera last summer. It won’t come as a surprise, if they decide to sanction his sale in the next transfer window.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash