Real Madrid have turned down the opening bid of Manchester United for Raphael Varane, according to AS.
The Red Devils have made the 28-year-old their top defensive target this summer.
And they looked close to securing a deal after the defender agreed personal terms.
However, the latest reports suggest that signing Varane could be difficult for United.
The Premier League outfit made a €45 million bid, but Los Blancos are holding out for €70m.
Varane’s current contract at the Santiago Bernabeu is set to expire next year but they are still unwilling to sanction a cut-price deal.
Since moving to the Santiago Bernabeu he has made 360 appearances across all competitions, bagging 17 goals and seven assists.
United have been long-term admirers of the talented centre-back.
They were interested in signing him from Lens in 2011.
Now that they are close to securing a deal, the Red Devils should do everything possible to land their target.
It will be hard for United to find a defender as gifted as Varane who boasts plenty of La Liga and Champions League experience.
The Red Devils need a strong partner for Harry Maguire – Varane fits the bill perfectly.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham