Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed defenders Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Chris Smalling are sidelined with minor injuries, which has ruled them out for the upcoming clash against Galatasaray.
The Red Devils take on the Turkish giants in the pre-season fixture scheduled between the two sides in Sweden on Saturday. The Dutch defender and the former Fulham man have not travelled with the squad to face Galatasaray.
Fosu-Mensah had a breakthrough season after making his first team debut in February in United’s 3-2 victory over Arsenal. His rise has seen him backed to be one of the standout players for the Red Devils in the future.
Smalling, on the other hand, was in fine form alongside Daley Blind in the heart of the back four. The England international picked up a red card in the last season’s FA Cup final victory over Crystal Palace and that will see him miss the season opener against AFC Bournemouth.
The former Real Madrid and Chelsea manager has provided a latest update on the duo’s injuries.
“Fosu-Mensah is not so much injured. But he has this little thing that we want to be careful with given that he is young. He is separate from the group until he is 100 per cent back,” Mourinho told MUTV.
“Chris Smalling has had a recurrence of an old injury from the previous season. We shall see what happens, but already he is suspended for the first game against Bournemouth.”
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta