After the completions of much vaunted, much anticipated summer transfers to Manchester United, of high profile stars like Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, with Eric Bailly being the icing on the cake, manager Jose Mourinho has revealed that a ”quiet” wrap up of this transfer window is to be expected.
As the transfer window is coming to an end, Mourinho says he expects a ”very quiet” final few days in the transfer arena, with the Red Devils boss being content with the squad he has at his disposal.
During recent days, Southampton defender Jose Fonte has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford, reports the Manchester Evening News. The Portuguese international was set to become United’s fifth signing of the summer transfer window. But today’s Mourinho quotes have poured cold water on these speculations.
United helmsman Mourinho has said today in his presser: “I have 23 players in the squad and in principle there is nobody leaving and nobody is coming.”
“Twenty-three players is more than enough and, if you have a problem or an opportunity, then I have a few young players in the Academy that I will be more than happy to give an acceleration in their process.”
“I like Cameron Borthwick-Jackson very much but he will go to Wolverhampton to play [on loan] because I have Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind to play left-back. These are the kind of decisions every club makes.”
“I think we are going to have a very quiet week, not surrounded by helicopters waiting for someone to arrive or leave – I am more than happy with the squad I have.”
Whether these quotes are sugarcoated because of Mourinho’s rumoured failure to lure Raphael Varane to United or the boss is indeed happy with the existing squad, one can never know. But, the squad depth and squad management under ‘The Special One’ have indeed been special, as the Portuguese made shrewd signings, as well as made clever loan moves.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides contract update about Manchester United star
- Manchester United unwilling to let Daniel James leave
- AC Milan to make another bid for Manchester United’s Diogo Dalot
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid