A section of the Manchester United supporters have grown frustrated with the performances of Jesse Lingard.
The England international has been a regular starter under the guidance of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but that has not necessarily aided the club with no league goals or assists contributed by him this year.
Following the Red Devils’ shock 2-1 loss to Crystal Palace, a number of the fans have questioned the 26-year-old’s involvement and believe the club could be better off without the services of the versatile attacker.
Here are some of the reactions….
Can we sell Lingard in this transfer window please?
— Abhimanyu Halakhandi (@Devils_Trifecta) August 24, 2019
Sell lingard please
— life of pablo (@wiseeaaron) August 24, 2019
I admire Lingard. Luckiest guy in sport. He’s like a competition winner living his dream.
— 'Drawty’ (@DrawtyDevil) August 24, 2019
There’s a small minority of ‘fans’ who’ve been booing James.
He’s done more in 3 games for United than Lingard has in 18 months.
Have some shame.
— The United Stand (@UnitedStandMUFC) August 24, 2019
Against Roy Hodgson’s side, there were plenty of average performances throughout the team starting from goalkeeper David de Gea to Marcus Rashford, who missed a crucial penalty which could have changed the complexion of the game.
Still, most of those players have come up with impressive displays every now and then, and that has not been the case with Lingard, who has failed to make any notable impact from the number 10 role throughout the calendar year.
As such, it has become concerning that Solskjaer has stuck with Lingard in the position when he can offer Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata or the young Angel Gomes with an opportunity to at least prove that they can produce a better showing.
United are currently on just four points after the opening three Premier League games of the season. They are scheduled to face Southampton on the road next weekend before the international break.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash