Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Marcus Rashford could be sidelined for sometime after picking up a groin problem during the Premier League encounter against West Ham United on the road.
The 21-year-old started his seventh game on the bounce this season and he was tasked with the job of leading the line with Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood unavailable due to a thigh injury and tonsillitis respectively.
Rashford was once more ineffective as he struggled to outsmart the Hammers defence and he was eventually substituted after the hour mark following an injury sustained without being challenged by the opposition.
Speaking in his press conference, Solskjaer confirmed that Rashford is struggling with a groin concern and stated that the true extent of the damage would be revealed following the necessary scans.
“He felt his groin. We’ll do a scan tomorrow to see how badly he’s injured. I don’t know how long he’ll be out, I’m not a doctor. But he’ll probably be out for a little while,” he was quoted as saying by United’s website.
Elsewhere, Solskjaer provided a positive update on Martial and Greenwood and he is hopeful that one of them can feature in the midweek League Cup tie in preparation for the Arsenal game on September 30.
“Hopefully Mason and Anthony will be back for the Arsenal game and at least one of them for Rochdale,” he added.
United suffered a second league defeat of the season on Sunday as the Hammers secured a 2-0 triumph at the London Stadium. Solskjaer’s side are now three points behind the top four but the away form has become a genuine concern with no league wins on the road since February this year.
For the upcoming League Cup third round tie against Rochdale, Solskjaer will no doubt make numerous changes to the starting XI and the likes of Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes and Fred may get the chance to feature from the off.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash