Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed an injury setback for midfielder Paul Pogba following the club’s 3-3 Premier League draw against Everton at Old Trafford last night.
The Frenchman sustained a thigh injury in the 38th minute and was soon taken off the field with Fred replacing him.
United went into the break with a 2-0 advantage after Bruno Fernandes’ wonderful effort from outside the box found the top corner of Robin Olsen’s goal.
The Toffees took advantage of some defensive lapses to equalise within the opening 10 minutes after the interval through Abdoulaye Doucoure and James Rodriguez.
Scott McTominay put United on course for victory with a wonderful header in the 70th minute, but another lapse at the back saw Dominic Calvert-Lewin bag the equaliser with the last kick of the game.
Following the match, Solskjaer was asked for an update on Pogba’s fitness and he confirmed that the midfielder had suffered a thigh injury and the extent of the problem will be assessed.
“Thigh, yeah,” he told the club’s official website. “
It looks like a muscle injury, so we’ve just got to check him up tomorrow and have a scan and get him treatment. Hopefully, he’ll recover quickly.”
Pogba has come up with some standout displays since the turn of the year with superb match-winning goals against the likes of Burnley and Fulham away from home.
He was given a breather during the recent 9-0 humbling of Southampton, but has now been hit with another injury setback. Hopefully, he can make a quick recovery and return to action.
United suffered a big blow in their title pursuit after squandering a 2-0 lead against the Toffees.
They are two points behind leaders Manchester City, but the Cityzens are in the driving seat with two games in hand.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat