Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed that Mason Greenwood could play a role against Arsenal after scoring in his past two appearances against Astana and Rochdale.
The 17-year-old has largely featured on the right side of the Red Devils’ attack this term but he was handed with a central role against Rochdale, where he broke the deadlock after the hour mark.
United managed to win the League Cup third round tie only on penalties after Rochdale levelled the scores in normal time but Greenwood still earned the plaudits of the supporters and pundits alike.
Speaking ahead of the Gunners clash, Solskjaer refused to acknowledge that Greenwood will lead the line, but hinted that the teenager could be ready after bagging goals in his previous two games for the side.
“He’s proved in those games [against Astana and Rochdale] that he’s ready for it. Now it’s the Premier League. I’ll have the weekend to think about it.” he was quoted as saying by the club’s official website.
With Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial sidelined through injuries, Greenwood is now regarded as the only recognised striker in the ranks and it seems a no-brainer to start him upfront against the Gunners.
The youngster has scored United’s last two goals with some impressive finishing but the question remains whether Solskjaer is prepared to trust the teenager with a predominant role on Monday night.
Should Greenwood feature on the bench, Daniel James seems the likely centre-forward option after taking up the role following Rashford’s injury setback at West Ham United last weekend.
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat