Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has indicated that Marcus Rashford has sustained a stress fracture which should keep him out of action for an extended period of time.
The England international was already suffering with a minor back problem earlier last week and that was aggravated during his 17-minute appearance against Wolves in the FA Cup third round replay.
As a result, Rashford was not included in the matchday squad for the trip to Anfield and Solskjaer has now confirmed that the club graduate won’t be available for the next couple of months.
“It’s a stress fracture that happened against Wolverhampton and it’s not something that’s happened before. It was so unlucky for Marcus, he’ll be out for a while. I don’t know long it is, I’m not a doctor but normally a stress fracture is six weeks to heal and then he needs some recovery or some rehab after that probably,” he told.
Rashford has been hugely influential towards the Red Devils’ attacking displays in the Premier League, in particular, and he has contributed towards 50 percent (14 goals and four assists) of the club’s goal tally (36) this season.
Considering this, it is definitely a huge blow in terms of the creativity in the final third and it remains to be seen whether United will seek to pursue a suitable replacement in the transfer market, given Rashford could be sidelined for at least two months with the rehabilitation and recovery involved.
Meanwhile, the club’s pursuit of Bruno Fernandes seems to have reached a standstill with Sporting reluctant to accept anything less than £68m for the Portuguese. United are likewise unwilling to increase on their initial £60m package for the playmaker and talks are expected to continue over the next few days.
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion