On Sneijder, Balotelli, Ozil et al…

All of a sudden United have found themselves making—would you believe it—headline news in the transfer market. And what’s more, we have actually put in a bid—reported at around £29m—for Wesley Sneijder.

Inter president, Massimo Moratti, has confirmed this.

Moratti has also moved to say that he intends to keep Sneijder at the club longer, by opening contract talks with the Dutchman.

There are several reasons why I believe this transfer won’t happen. First of all, Sneijder has been key to Inter’s success last season, helping them to a domestic treble. He has been a fabulous bit of business as Inter bought him from Madrid for £12m. Whilst a tidy profit might be tempting, they’d be idiots to sell him after just one season.

Secondly, he’s just having a brilliant world cup. A cliche, and perhaps a little unfair, but with every goal, his value goes up a few notches. He’s in the final now with the Netherlands, and a potential world cup winner. When the likes of Fabregas are valued at £40m, £30m is laughably low for someone of Sneijder’s stature.

Another significant factor is his wages. Currently he’s reported to be earning £3.5m a year after tax. If you factor in taxes (I used a rough estimate based on taxation slabs for Italy) his weekly wages (pre-tax) is approximately 120k. At United, we would have to offer higher wages just to match his current wages—because, remember, in England the taxation rate is higher, at 50%—and we would have to offer him even more than that because Inter are going to try to match that.

So, it’s going to be the coup of Ferguson’s career to pull of a Sneijder deal. Which means, given his rhetoric on “value for money”, we won’t get him.

The other story doing the rounds is of our reported interest in Balotelli, which has also been confirmed by Moratti. Again he maintains he hasn’t received a single bid that’s satisfactory. If reports are to be believed he reckons Balotelli is worth around £30m. [That much money is too much for a world renowned nutcase.] Also: Man City are interested in him, and have put in several ridiculous bids.

So we’ll leave it at that.

There have been stray reports, without much substance of our interest in Ozil. Wonderful player, on evidence of having seen him play in the World Cup. Highly acclaimed by pundits who follow German football, but since I’ve seen him properly only in the World Cup, I won’t have an opinion on him. As for the veracity of this rumour, well, I believe he’s only going to be a back up.

There is also the story that we’re possibly weighing up a bid for Benzema—some reports claiming Berbatov would be off loaded. I’ll believe it when I see it.

July 16, 2010 at 11:44 am

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

July 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

@Jeet: Was at a barbeque party yesterday, therefore the idea 😆 😆 😆

July 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

July 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

So I go away for 24 hours, and suddenly someone is arguing that Ballack isn’t the biggest cunt to ever walk the eath. Typical German…..

July 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Hate me or love me,but i feel proud to say that unlike othersI have only one club to love and that is Manchester United and i have never told to jump off the ship.It is pity that owner of this blog does not come to give his opinion when i am said to fuck off for praising a Man Utd Legend.

July 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Mate ,a great team needs any one of the central midfielders to be world class and consistent.For the first time we are lacking in this field.Fletcher is a good player but i still feel he is not up to the standards of Keano and Carrick is not consistent.Few years ago both our midfielders Keano/Scholes were world class on any day but sadly we have not yet replaced them.

July 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: I would agree with that mate, on the whole our midfield has always had a british core to it.
    However i would say britian as a whole no longer produces the players it once did.
    As an englishman myself i dont think i need to tell anyone how bad the youth here is right now, but add to that no real talent emerging from scotland or ireland and its not looking good.
    Infact the only nation that is developing any decent talents at all are wales, even though they dont produce them to a very high standard.
    I would love though to see jac rodwell in our team one day, he looks tailor made for us imo.
    Apart from him though there is no british player i see who excites me nor who i think would get into our team and improve it.
    I think cleverley seems decent but gibbo just really doesnt impress me nor any of the united fans i know. I dont know the general feeling of him by the united fans as a whole but i just am not impressed.
    He is 23 now, if he was anything special i would think he would have been a regular by now like fletcher, scholes and giggs were.
    Having a very british midfield may have been ok for the past, but i think the state of british football right now is terrible and wont be fixed for a good decade while the FA address the real issues.
    In the meantime it seems the only option is to go foreign while we wait and see if we can unearth the new scholes, bryan robson etc.
    With the youth system the way it is now that wont be for a while but in the future its definitely possible.
    For it to work though we definitely need a foreign player cap and the FA need to get their finger out, admit their faults and completely change everything from the grass roots up. Thats the only way i see it.

July 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Scholes is a good player no doubt but I don’t think he is a great. Not creative enough. Cannot tackle to save his life. Cannot really head the ball. Rarely assists.

I can’t help thinking that Scholes in his prime would have fitted way better into the Barcelona team. Whereas Ballack would have been a great fit for us.

Scholes also has better longevity than Ballack. Even if Ballack had joined us instead of Chelsea I think he was past his prime at the tender age of 30. Scholes has faded but his intelligence and passing is still useful for us.

Anyway does it really matter?

The major challenge we have is finding a long term replacement for Scholes.

Fletcher is an adequate replacement for Keane, although I think Fletcher would be a lot more effective if he had a defensive midfielder alongside him to give Fletcher the freedom to play box to box. And Pogba looks promising.

But there is no-one in our squad other than Scholes who is comfortable on the ball and able to keep possession. Also as Robson pointed out we need a midfielder capable of scoring goals just like he and Scholes in his prime did.

Sneijder would have been absolutely perfect. And Ozil looks promising although he is less complete a midfielder than Sneijder. But we need someone sooner rather than later.

July 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Forgot about jack wilshere there. Right now i would say the only quality young british midfielders around are rodwell, ramsey and wilshere.
    Just bloody typical ramsey rejected us and 2 of those 3 play for the arse. Still i have a feeling in the not to distant future moyes will be our next manager and rodders will be the first name he brings over.

July 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Nothing like Fergie arranging the first Friendly match on my birthday! Thank you Fergie, next time please have the game in Detroit or close by… 😀

I’d like to see Pogba and Cleverly play as well as Macheda, Welbeck, and Diouf against some real competition.

Aren’t we getting to the phase where new players arrive too late and fail to settle in before the season begins?

July 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm

From our own King Eric about the title challengers to United:
    “If they [City] play a game against United for 89 minutes, maybe they’ll have a chance! But I think United have a team that is experienced and they have young players also – they still work on young players.

“Chelsea don’t look so good, Liverpool seem to have problems. Arsenal? Maybe

July 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: L.E.G.E.N.D. 😀

July 16, 2010 at 4:12 pm

The truth about Anderson

That is a stunning piece of writing I reccommend for you all to read. Really interesting read for all that love United and who talk about us signing a new midfielder. These days when we discuss, mainly, our own midfield, I think that article fits the bill. 😀 Anderson! <3

July 16, 2010 at 4:30 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Like Nani and Fletcher, this coming season will make or break Anderson.

We cannot afford a replacement to anderson (esp. with Hargo out injured again) so he will be thrust into the games with Fletcher as the def mid (I think) and Carrick/Scholes the deep passer — that makes Anderson our box-to-box midfielder but he needs to decrease his ka-donk-a-donk butt and get in tip-top shape again.

July 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: CORRECTION**Like Nani and Fletcher last season, this coming season will make or break Anderson

July 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I am proud of my fellow compatriots in Toronto who look ready to give the United/Glazer road show the royal snub. I wouldn’t throw a nickel at this shite contest if it was played here in Vancouver. Canadians get it. They know when they are being fed a poor product.

July 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm

@Redrich: Bite me.

July 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm

@Stephen: I was having a bad hair day.

July 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm

@Grognard: 😆 😆 😆

20. antsBoy

July 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

@Grognard: I don’t agree. I’m in Toronto and there were quite a few fans like me who waited 4+ hours at the airport yesterday to catch a glimpse of the team. Seems they had loads already at the hotel waiting for them. I agree with the article that the emergence of Toronto FC means that locals here do not have as big as an appetite for “live” football as before cos they get it every week now, but when the European Giants come in to town, people who “know” their football will be there screaming and waiting.

There was a downtown meet n greet event hosted by the MUSCC yesterday with guests Crerand, Irwin and Gemma Thompson and it was absolutely packed is what I heard!

July 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm

@Grognard & @antsBoy: I contacted MUSA – the USA version of MUFC – fan club and they said they were sending buses to Toronto and were selling tickets to the game for $150 per head…

Besides the fact that $150 is outrageous for a friendly match (or any match for that matter), what adds insult to injury is that the money is destined for Glazers.

I am sure they are coming to USA for the money mostly.

Capitalism + Sports …. don’t you just love it 🙄

July 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm

🙄 🙄 See below 🙄 🙄
    “Tickets will be $130 each all in and they are in the south end, behind the
    goal rows 1-12. You can buy tickets through us. Just go to the website and
    follow the instructions under “update #1″. Thanks.”

Michael Singer
    Chairman
    Manchester United Supporters Club of Canada
    T. 416 222 6209

July 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

@Grognard: Good on them, i mean $150 to see a fucking pre season game full of reserves is just a bloody disgrace. Looks like the glazers are going to try for every bloody penny the bastards.
    Good to see you canadians wont be taken for mugs, wish a few more of the united fans over here were the same.

July 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Sorry you feel this way about me mate. I thought that you of all would know that when I am placed in a corner with spears pointed at me, I fight back. Have I fought back with you? I think I did once when you admittedly got abusive during a drunken stupor and then you were big enough to apologize for it the day after. I accepted it and we went on and all I can think is that we have always gotten along and joked around because the way you treat me is the way I will treat you.

People don’t have to like or agree with what I write or believe in but the fact is they don’t respect my right to do so. If I am mad at United and at Fergie the bottom line is I have that right and the fact that I do so with pain and regret seems to go over most people’s heads. The decades I have been a fan seemingly goes over everyone’s heads and people on here including yourself right now have the gall to question my motives as well as my allegiance.

I may come across as a hypocrite but then even my reply yesterday to Johnsom’s very intelligent analysis of the situation never did any good. I poured my history out to everyone so that it could help them understand just why I do not think the same ways as many of them and why I have such a hard on for Germany. But instead I get reply’s from a former friend in RedRich who has become a turncoat and a totalitarian in his dealings with me because unless I start thinking more like him, I am cancer on this blog. It means that unless I get in line and dismiss my core beliefs that I am not welcome on here anymore because a few have delegated me as a traitor and as a trouble maker. And what exactly did I do to generate this? Put down Spaniards which is my right. I hate their guts and their is nothing fair or intelligent about that but it’s my right as they are everything I hate about the game today. How dare you tell me I cannot do this when you have spewed venom against teams and players you don’t like since day one.

As for my love in with Germany, Jesus H Christ I am called a racist? 😯 More like every Englishman on here holds a major grudge against that country and any of it’s sympathizers and this goes back well before England became Germany’s bitch in football. Some people can’t forget the war even if they weren’t alive to experience it. To them I once again say get over it and GROW THE FUCK UP.

As for my United hate tirades as well as my apparent anti Scholes stance the bottom line is I have nothing against Scholesy whatsoever. I just don’t think he is or ever was better than Ballack and that for me he was never my cup of team although I appreciated his abilities and his contributions to United’s cause. A true United legend but just not one of my favourites. What a crime I have committed there eh? The fact I cannot stand to watch him play these days with his lack of pace and back passing clinics is no crime either. As good as he was, he is a shadow of that player now, but then so is Ballack.

The fact I tell it as it is about Scholes seems to offend many but the fact is I am echoing the true feelings of nearly everyone on this blog. It’s just that many lack the balls to actually say that or to criticize a United player like I do. And why am I being picked on for executing my rights of free speech over somebody or something that is public domain. I have the right to cheer criticize, condemn and blatantly verbally abuse any football player or team in existence as it is my right as a free thinking person to do so. I could care less if I offend frail sensibilities on here. I am exercising my freedoms. But one of those rights on this blog is to not get personal with fellow bloggers. Many will notice that when I do, it’s usually a retaliation to remarks or insults directed at me first. Like I said earlier, I will defend myself against abusive members who don’t respect my rights to say what I please.

If I was truly anti-United I would have been booted off this blog years ago. The fact I am presently abusing the club is anarchy against the Glazer’s and their minions. How many of you put your money where your mouth is? I at least openly supported MUST with a contribution and i refuse to throw dime at any of the merchandise options offered by Glazer Enterprises. How many of you die hard wannabe’s have done the same thing? And I don’t want to hear BS like i am strapped for money because you have no idea how difficult it was for me to come up with money considering I am presently living on Disability Benefits that amount to a lot less than the poverty line. And many of you ass clowns have the guts to confront me over my allegiance? Go kiss a pigs anal regions. 🙄 😡

Which brings me to United. To all the fucking assholes on this blog who have questioned my allegiance and my love for the team I just simply have to say go fuck yourselves. Stick an official Liverpool FC vibrator up your asses and go fuck yourselves. My tirades and my venom towards the team and towards the manager are because I smell something rotten in the state of OT. I see a team that is going to Hell being led by owners who are stealing from it and who don’t care and a manager who despite his legendary status has gotten into bed with them and who continues to support them at the expense of all you fucking blind as a bat dimwits who refuse to see the truth for what it is. How much clear evidence does one need to realize that Fergie has turned on all of us? How many summers of no spending and lying through his teeth must we endure before you all get the hint.

How many years of watching this club slide into financial oblivion do you all need before you panic buttons are pressed and you realize that the club may be lost because of the actions of irresponsible greedy owners and a manager who for so long has had his head up Glazer’s ass?

And yet, it is my allegiance and loyalty that is in question here today? How much more evidence do you need? Is the cause of MUST and the Red Knights along with all the crimes that the Glazer’s are committing not enough for all of you to start questioning the direction of this club while stopping to question my motives? How can our esteemed manager have so much teflon all over him that nothing seems to stick on him when it comes to complicity and guilt? He lies to your faces, does nothing to improve the club, isults the green and gold fans and mocks the Red Knights while praising Glazer’s over and over, and I am the traitor?

To all of you who have labeled me anti-United I say you are wrong and incredibly mean spirited and that after three years of being on this blog it has come to this. That you would question my allegiance despite my 35 years of support for the club and my three years of support for the club on this blog. Shame on all of you for questioning me and for turning on me like a bunch of snakes in the grass. I considered many of the guilty parties on here like You Eddy and especially Red Rich my friends and yet you accuse me of heinous crimess and disloyalty but you seem too hard pressed to understand why? Sure maybe I went over the line a few times with my language towards Fergie but I am mad, shocked and so disenchanted in him. I may have been overly passionate in my one man crusade but the fact is I did what I did and wrote what I wrote out of love for my team and out of disgust with what is happening. If none of you can respect that or even understand it, it does not speak well for your intelligence or lack of. I despise conformists as much as I despise apathetic blind mice who sit and take abuse but never do anything about it because they haven’t got a clue they are being abused. Well United is busy taking a massive dump on all of you blind as fuck nitwits. The fact you sit their and enjoy it while contemplating fantasy transfers and the quick fix of the upcoming season while you miss the realities of the big picture entirely, says everything. But i’m the Enemy here aren’t I? 🙄 🙄 🙁 🙁

Look at me as the enemy, I could care lees right now. One day I believe in my heart that the truth will come out and i will be vindicated. I hope that day doesn’t come but unfortunately I truly believe it will. IU wasn’t born yesterday and i am educated and experienced enough to see all the signs. This club is headed for economic ruin and all most of you care about is why aren’t we buying players and why is Grognard so negative and abusive to Sir Alex. Perhaps many of you have not suffered personal betrayals to understand how the actions of Fergie have hurt me. That’s fine, don’t understand those feelings now. One day you will.
    But as much as you all feel I have betrayed United and Fergie, I feel the very same about the way many of you have turned on mye like a pack of jackals. Unwilling to show any understanding or tolerance to a fellow supporter despite the fact he has a message many of you don’t want to hear. Thanks for nothing.

July 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm

@Owen: You were told to fuck off because you crossed a line with me and got personally abusive. I will now be man enough to apologize to you for that tantrum although I have to say that you have a history of baiting me and trying to intentionally antagonize me which I feel is very unfair and childish on your part. My fault is that I allow your baiting to get under my skin and I lash out. Think about your part in all this before you overreact about my telling you off. Stop getting in my face and trying to intentionally piss me off and I will stop telling you off. Sorry for my language but i was very hurt and upset by it.

July 16, 2010 at 6:24 pm

@colver: Actually I don’t think Ballack is well passed his prime. He still does the job for Germanybecause he is used properly by Joachim Loew. Chelsea have always played him out of his position because of Lampard and for that reason we have not seen the real Ballack at Chelsea other than period when Lampard was out and he was told to move forward by AV Grant. The year we beat them in the CL final was Ballacks’ best year with them because he was playing his position for most of that season. The fact is he can still play 90 minutes at the highest level for his country and club where Scholes cannot. Scholes will always be the smarter of the two and the more cautious and tidy.

July 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm

@Stephen: And let me apologize to you as well mate. Lets just say I am getting very upset with the attitude many on here are forming about me and my allegiance to the team. You and others have questioned my allegiance for this and that reason but you all fail to see the big picture and are wrongfully condemning me. Sorry for lashing out but like I said, I don’t deserve the kind of crap I have been getting. Not after three years of supporting United through thick and thin on this blog.

July 16, 2010 at 6:31 pm

@antsBoy: Interesting. Well lets put it this way. Knowing what I know about the team these days, I would not be one of those waiting for tickets because I refuse to offer a dime of my money to support Glazer. And I am not one for spending a lot of money to see a Rooneyless United and a bunch players going at it with only 25% intensity and drive. I hate exhibition games in all sports.

July 16, 2010 at 6:33 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: And yet I am being called a traitor. I don’t get the fickle nature of fans mate. How anybody can stomach giving money to the Glazer’s amazes me? What is wrong with people today?

July 16, 2010 at 6:35 pm

@tonymontanna4united: AYMEN BROTHER!

July 16, 2010 at 6:46 pm

@Grognard: Not a problems mate, we have known each too long to hold any sort of grudge lets just raise a glass to each other and move on.

July 16, 2010 at 6:48 pm

@Grognard: That I whole heartily agree with I will never give a single penny to those locusts.

July 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: I have to say the midfield of Anderson, Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick and a one legged Haregreaves next season simply is not good enough and clearly was not good enough last season.
    Pogba sounds very exciting but is seventeen as much as Fletch is a United favorite for me he is far from World Class and in an ideal situation he would be a great sub, not the must start which he is.
    The midfield is the most important part of any side, ours compared with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Bayern, Inter, Milan and even City and Spurs is good enough and has been neglected for the last seasons we have strenghtened at the back and up front but not in midfield which we do not have one world class player.
    Even out wide for we we are weak, Nani has had some good games but is far from being the hybrid of Ronaldo and Best as some people on this site bill him, Valencia is a good little player but again is not World Class and the others, well.

July 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm

@Stephen: agree… but our team has enormous POTENTIAL. If we can properly use our youth and get them to improve over the coming season, we will have a FUTURE world class team in every position — of course, you may ask: Can we afford the gamble and time?

July 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm

@Stephen: Exactly mate, i was saying yesterday this midfield needs a good 2 world class central/attacking midfielders minmum.
    We need a ball winner to replace hargo who sadly is finished, and the creative goal scoring midfielder we have needed for the last 5 years.
    Rodwell would have been perfect because to me he has a bit of both. Great defensively and looks decent further up. Unfortunately he has signed a new deal so that idea is in the crapper.
    But to me we need a mass clear out in midfield. Carrick should be first out along with gibbo, hargreaves and anderson if hes not going to play.
    The worst thing is we know we have no cash, yet if we sold a few of the deadwood we would have some dough to play with.
    For carrick we could a good £10m, gibbo £5m, anderson £10m+. Add that to the £14m we got from tosic and foster and were talking about a good amount there, certainly enough to go get ozil and a good ball winner.
    It just annoys me our team has no cash yet we have a few players who are no longer good enough who would fetch us a few million. Or is my idea flawed because the £14m has already gone to the glazers along with any other money made from player sales.
    Yeah i thought so.

July 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm

@Stephen: I’m glad to hear that. Fact is that we agree on things far more often than we disagree. Just know this, I bleed United red too. It’s just that I do have a rebellious nature to my personality that questions things when they don’t look right and I will be more than honest if we have a player or players that don’t make me go gaga. I mean am I less of a fan because Scholes is not a fave of mine or if I really dislike Anderson, Park and a few other useless twits on the club? I’m not for total conformity mate. 😀

July 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: Honestly mate, thats just wishful thinking. I honestly do not believe our youth other than a few players is all that good. Does our youth have the potential to rise up like the present starting eleven at barcelona? NO. So then in my books they are inadequate because that is what we should be striving for. We are United for crying out loud, not Everton. Relying on our youth is just settling for the average looking girl as opposed tot he knockout bombshell. I may be single these days but I never settled for the plain girl. At least I had ten years with a bombshell. 😀

July 16, 2010 at 10:17 pm

@Grognard: word! 😀 About the girl part. 😆 Bombshells ftw! :mrgreen:

July 16, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Oh this is rich coming from Fergie. He considered the England job a “poisoned chalice and a terrible job” but working for Glazer is fucking Heaven. This guy’s BS never ceases to amaze me. 🙄 🙄

July 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: saw this too and loved it. I see you put him back in your avatar :mrgreen: If he were to pull a nani this year and make the cam role his at united i would cum in my pants. i want him to come good so bad its unhealthy. i think he can do it.

what does it say under the united badge this season???

BELIEVE

July 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Happy birthday Groggy

United in for the hunter

July 16, 2010 at 11:15 pm

im hoping justin tv will have a link for the match anyone have one yet?

this one seems to be kicking http://www.justin.tv/vip_wwe_1 its boxing now but the mods are promising devils n hoops.

July 16, 2010 at 11:24 pm

@Grognard: I think if you read the article carefully, you will realize that he was thought to have been offered the England job in 96 and 99. At that time, of course the United job was way better than the England job.

The England job was, is and always will be the poisoned chalice. You never win being an England manager and that’s a fact.

In this particular case you are clasping at straws mate.

July 16, 2010 at 11:25 pm

@gator: ESPN2 is showing the match I believe. And if not it’s on ESPN3.com if you get it.

July 16, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Official: Chris Smalling is our new number 12.

46. ebrahim

July 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm

July 16, 2010 at 11:52 pm

@Red Ranter: nice so i dont have to stay at work to see a stream and can go home now :mrgreen:

July 17, 2010 at 12:04 am

vds
    twin smalling evans twin
    valincia fletch scholes nani
    diouf berba

i think?

cant wait to see this its been a tough summer with all the bad press. time to forget it all and see United take the pitch. The kids should shine and give us a glimpse of the season to come.

UNITED UNITED UNITED

July 17, 2010 at 12:07 am

I’m actually mildly interested in this pre season for our club. The lack of transfer money means the youngsters have a realistic chance at getting into thecsquad this season. I’m interested to see who emerges.

July 17, 2010 at 12:13 am