Manchester United legend-turned-pundit Gary Neville has described Mason Greenwood as an outstanding player and believes the teenager can go on to become a real star in the future.
The 18-year-old has experienced an excellent breakthrough season with the Red Devils and he has netted 12 goals and registered four assists from 36 appearances across all competitions.
More than half of those appearances have come off the bench but Greenwood has still shown his quality with the impressive positioning, dribbling skills as well as a keen eye for goal.
Speaking to Sky Sports‘ The Football Show, Neville heaped praised on the United graduate by saying that the youngster has shown more composure and temperament than players of the same age.
The 45-year-old added that there has been a misjudgement over the potential of young United players in the past such as Adnan Januzaj but believes Mason Greenwood is the real thing.
“I think Mason Greenwood is an outstanding player, the equal of Rashford at his age, in some ways more composed and a bit more classy, less raw, he looks well above his age group in terms of his composure and his temperament,” He told.
“I think Manchester United have got a real star there. We’ve been wrong before, you talk about Adnan Januzaj, I thought he was going to be world-class, but I think Greenwood is going to be the real thing.”
Greenwood has made 22 appearances in the Premier League this term but only four of those outings have come from the starting lineup.
The forward has caught the eye with his superb finishing qualities but manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has handled him with caution to avoid any early career injuries.
As a result, he has earned most of the playing time in the Cup competitions but things should change over the next 12 months, should he continue to make progress in the positive direction.
Greenwood has largely featured on the right wing under Solskjaer this season but his future could lie in the number 9 position where he has played during most of his youth career.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa