Manchester United legend, Paul Scholes, feels that the Red Devils should try to sign Real Madrid midfielder, Toni Kroos, next summer. Scholes reckons that Kroos would be the perfect partner alongside Paul Pogba and Ander Herrera in United’s three-man midfield.
Jose Mourinho, the United manager, signed Pogba for £89m in the summer, but he has often struggled to find a perfect balance in the midfield.
Michael Carrick has done a decent job, but the England midfielder is approaching the fag end of his career. He is not a long-term solution. United need a world class central midfielder, someone who is an excellent passer of the ball and is very good at retaining possession. Kroos not only fits the bill, but is an expert in dictating the tempo of the game with his energy, movement, and creativity.
Scholes, arguably, is one of the greatest midfielders of the Premier League era, and he is adored by players and fans all over the world. The former United midfielder, now turned football pundit, has hailed Kroos as the best midfielder in the world in that role, and says that he tried to play like the German towards the end of his career.
Scholes told German magazine Kicker:
I really like Toni Kroos. When I came to the end of my career, I watched him closely and tried to play like Kroos.
was a rather forward-looking midfielder, but Toni is the best in the world, and Kroos would be perfect next to Pogba and Ander Herrera at United.
Kroos was strongly linked with a move to Manchester United before he moved to Real Madrid from Bayern Munich in 2014.
Manchester City had also shown an interest in him last summer, with reports from Spain claiming that Pep Guardiola was keen to bring him to the Etihad.
The German would be a great addition to the United squad. However, it remains to be seen whether the Red Devils take Scholes’ advice and make a formal approach for him in the summer. Certainly, their chances of signing Kroos will increase if they qualify for the Champions League next season.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash