Manchester United defender Tyler Blackett has completed his transfer to Reading on a permanent deal on Monday, August 22.
The 22-year-old came up through the ranks of the club’s youth system and was given a first team debut two years ago when Louis van Gaal was the manager. He was a regular inclusion in the starting lineup at the start of the 2014/15 season, but saw his first team opportunities limited in the previous campaign.
The Red Devils have confirmed the transfer on their official website. A statement read, ” Young defender Tyler Blackett has completed a transfer from Manchester United to Reading, the Championship club managed by Treble-winner and Reds legend Jaap Stam.”
The left back (with left centre-back being his auxiliary position) departed from Old Trafford and joining Reading, where he signed a four-year deal. The fee is officially undisclosed though, it is reportedly believed to be around £5 million. Blackett is going to be managed by United legend Jaap Stam at the Championship side.
A statement on Reading’s official website read, “We are delighted to confirm that Tyler Blackett has today signed a four-year contract with Reading Football Club, joining the Royals on a permanent deal from Manchester United. “
After his unsuccessful loan spell at Celtic last season, where he managed to make only eight appearances in six months, he would be keen for upturn of fortunes.
As United legend and Reading manager Stam completed his eleventh signing this summer with the arrival of Blackett, he told Reading’s official website, as reported by The Guardian: ”As we know, Tyler is a talented defender who has played for United’s first team.”
“He can play as a left-back or a left-sided centre-back. He has got great potential in the sense that he is quick and athletic, defensively he is strong and he is good at set pieces. As a defender he can go and play high up the pitch as well and that is what we need in the squad.”
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves