Manchester City have confirmed they have completed the signing of Manchester United defender target John Stones on August 9, Tuesday.
The 22-year-old left Everton and made a switch to the Etihad, signing a six-year deal with Pep Guardiola’s side. Before he joined City, he was also a target for their local rivals as the Sun reported that the England international was wanted by the Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho, who is an admirer of the central defender.
United manager is looking to further strengthen his side’s back four for the 2016-17 Premier League season, having already added Eric Bailly to the squad.
However, Stones decided to join City as he became their eighth signing of the current summer transfer window. They have already added Ilkay Gundogan, Nolito, Aleksandar Zinchenko, Aaron Mooy, Leroy Sane, Gabriel Jesus and Marlos Moreno this summer.
A statement on City’s official website read, ” Manchester City are delighted to announce the permanent transfer of John Stones from Everton. The England international defender has signed a six-year deal which will keep him at the Etihad Stadium until at least 2022.”
Stones will wear No 24 shirt at City and he explains why he decided to join the former Barcelona manager at the Etihad. He also went on to thank Everton and wished them lick for the upcoming campaign.
“I’m absolutely delighted to sign for City and now the deal’s done I’m looking forward to the next stage in my career,” Stones told City’s official website.
“I’ve obviously seen what’s going on here at the Etihad, it’s an ambitious Club with a great manager so I can’t wait to get stuck in and help achieve the goals.
“I know it will be tough getting a place in this team but I’m determined to become the best player I can be and help us to success. I had a wonderful time with Everton and wish them and their fans all the best but now I’ll give my all for City.”
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion