Pre-season and summer roundup

I think it’s best to stick my head out and say it—with the barely lingering hope of jinxing it and being proved wrong—that we aren’t going to sign anyone. [Fergie, prove me wrong.]

We can only go by evidence. And save for the signings we made in the close season, it’s unlikely we are going to sign any.

More worrying however is if we were to sell existing players. There are rumours that Evra and Vidic might be sold on. Now, with Evra, the rumours have intensified because he sold his house, apparently. But then Wes Brown has just put up his house for sale. We haven’t heard any rumours about his transfer now have we? So I don’t think there is much credibility to the Evra transfer.

In Vidic’s case, I can’t be sure. This is a transfer that has been threatening to bubble up to the top. Last year it was all about his wife being ‘unhappy’. This time there’s a lot more agent-driven talk. Nemanja, who is vacationing in some corner of this world, has been largely kept away from the press, so any leaked stories will have to be from his agent. But there is definite talk from several journos about him wanting to leave this summer, be it Madrid or wherever.

I have almost given up hope on Ferguson signing anyone this summer. But selling a major player like Vidic would be unacceptable, if it were to happen. It’s one thing to keep faith in youngsters and maintain that the current squad is better than the previous because they have an extra season’s experience under their belt. But selling a defensive lynch pin especially considering Ferdinand’s dodgy injury problems is baffling to put it mildly.

I don’t want to go off on the we-don’t-have-money-so-we’re-hawking-players-off-to-profit-from-it line of argument because we are yet to see us hawking off big name players this season. I’d rather reserve my judgement on that till the transfer window shuts firmly. But there seems to be some merit to the Vidic rumours even if it’s not necessarily going to translate into an actual transfer. It just doesn’t feel like a contract improvement would settle this.

A word on Joe Cole’s transfer. The Liverpool move felt a bit odd considering he wanted to stay in London. Spurs and Arsenal are obviously better choices at the moment than Liverpool. And if he were to move to Anfield, United would have suited him just as much. But, as much as I wanted Cole at United, this transfer saga tells us a few things: Redknapp, a well-known admirer didn’t want him enough to break the bank. Arsenal have been strict about their wage structure, so it’s understandable that Wenger didn’t want him enough. Liverpool were willing to buy him which probably casts doubt over their chances of holding onto the likes of Torres and Gerrard over the summer. Ferguson is a known admirer, but it’s quite possible he, Wenger and Redknapp knew something about his fitness or motivations to not take a punt on him. So I trust the combined wisdom of those three men in this case and hope they’re proved right.

However, we do need a player of Joe Cole’s quality—albeit a less injury-prone version, since we already have the likes of Hargreaves and Owen to deal with. I am willing to give the benefit of doubt to our striking department as well as our backline if Vidic stays. But I am just not willing to accept we are good in midfield. We need a midfielder who is dynamic or creative enough to make those forward runs to support our strikers. Scholes is not the solution as much as a lot of United fans believe. Many fans I’ve spoken to throw me the he’s-still-the-best-we-have argument. Which essentially defeats their point. If we have to rely on a 35 year old who needs to be nursed and cannot be expected to perform week-in, week-out, we know we’re terribly lacking in midfield. Carrick has regressed last season, and I just don’t rate Anderson. Fletcher is solid as a defensive midfielder, but any combination of Scholes, Fletcher or Carrick only serves to isolate the strikers up front. Anderson is played more defensively, again. I am not convinced by his consistency anyway. And the less spoken about Gibson, the better. A good shot does not a player make.

* * *

A good word on the pre-season before I end this. It was a welcome relief to watch the lads come on to the pitch after a long time. It was Celtic we were playing and not a Guangzhou-based outfit. They gave us a good game and the back four that we started with was solid; especially impressive was Smalling—despite his penalty-conceding gaffe.

Berbatov stood head and shoulders above everyone, and Diouf seemed to have plenty of pace to burn. Obertan showed flashes as he ran at the defence, but there was a bit of rust, and perhaps, a lack of decisiveness. It’s a pre-season game after all, so I am not going to over-analyse this to ridiculousness.

United are in Philadelphia at the moment where they will play the new MLS expansion side, Philadelphia Union.

1. johnsom33

July 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

@Stephen: fair enough, Smalling and Hernandez are both gambles.

July 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm

@johnsom33: As I say I hope they work out to be be super stars but if every single signing you make are “for the future” and somewhat “punts” then they are all gambles.
    If we spend £20m on Ozil, £20m on Arteta, the £14m last season on Sneidger then you a are minimizing the risk as these players are established and are “good value”

3. RedTanRedTan

July 21, 2010 at 3:30 pm

@johnsom33: Any player that does not have premier league experience is a gamble IMHO

4. RedTanRedTan

July 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm

@RedTanRedTan: Infact any player we sign due to the stature of the club is a gamble IMHO

5. The devil

July 21, 2010 at 5:24 pm

@Stephen: I think Balotelli would be a fantastic signing. After all we r famous for nurturing talented mavericks.. Balotelli has pace, skill and a physical presence but most importantly is a great free kick taker (last season we scored only one goal from a direct free kick if i’m not mistaken).. Anyway the deal has not been completed yet.. Hoping against hope that we sign him… 👿 👿 but know it’ll not happen… 🙁 🙁

July 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm

@The devil: He is an immature brat, a total liability and has no place at Old Trafford.

July 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm

@Red Ranter: Even if Huntelaar were in town, it’s not for United business. United isn’t home. If Fergie wanted a player like Huntelaar he would meet and greet him at the airport. No, this is negotiations with Man City that are going on and have nothing to do with United. That is of course if he is even in Manchester, which I seriously doubt like you. Consider the main source. The Fantasy fiction factory known as Goal.com. As irresponsible a bunch of wankers to have ever crept onto the Internet.

July 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm

@Redrich: Jeez mate, just a week a week ago you were all over me for my tirades against Fergie and you were getting on me for calling him a traitor and all and now you are echoing my words? What gives? Forgive me if I am not just a little bit confused by all this. 😕

July 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm

@tonymontanna4united: My feelings exactly. I can see the old man not wanting him if he was worth over 25 million because at that age, you cannot be 100% sure you are getting the real deal. You cannot judge a player’s ability from one tournament (can anyone say Karel Poborsky) but Ozil has shone at several levels now for a couple of years and to see him being given away tells me right then and there that Fergie is so full of shit it’s has to be coming out his ears by now. But then again in fairness to him, Ozil is technically a “typical German” and so he is strictly verboten at OT unless as an opponent. Also, I am concerned that Bremen would offer him for such a low price. Regardless of his contract, a player like that should not be going for anything less than 20 million. And if he is at 12 million, why isn’t Real Madrid or a host of Italian clubs or Chelsea, Man City and the rest not banging on Bremen’s door? Something is smelly about this whole deal. I choose not to believe the 12 million storyline. I think it’s fantasy. I think he has been price tagged at 20 million or more.

July 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm

@The devil: SOURCES PLEASE??

July 21, 2010 at 6:26 pm

@PissedOffRed: Oh you can count on the slap on the wrist. People like that have teflon attached to them so that nothing ever sticks. High priced lawyers will get their way. I’d love to see that ugly little Ribery in prison rags though. I still cannot believe Bayern broke the bank to keep him around considering his form has slipped so badly the last 18 months or so. Instead they could have sold him to Barca, Madrid or Chelsea, made a huge profit and then gone and bought the far superior Ozil for a quarter of the amount. Bayern are a great club but that was abad bit of business. As for Benzema, I bet you Fergie could get him for a song and dance now? NAH! He still couldn’t afford 12 pound signing fee not to mention his bail bond. 😉 😉 😆 😆

July 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm

@PissedOffRed: Incidentally mate, I love your nickname. Pissed off Red is what i have felt like now for over two years. And it’s just getting worse. 😀

July 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm

@Karl: Karl ole buddy, long time no hear. Good to see you are amongst the living. You’ve been awfully silent of late. Good to see you are back. 🙂 🙂 And yes I said the very same thing just last week. I have never been so disinterested in an upcoming season or a preseason like I have been this year. Do the idiots running the club have no sense for marketing their product as to create buzz a, interest and anticipation? Hell they should be signing a few new stars just for those reasons alone. It would get everyone interested and feeling confident which in turn improves the club’s take at the box office. But no, they are nothing more than a massive killjoy these days destined to turn off everyone before the old man retires.

July 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

@colver: Kudos on all counts mate. A true professional? That’s classic. 😆 😆 Talk about taking one for the team or showing dedication or commitment to your craft.

July 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm

@Stephen: But look on the bright side mate. Rooney is coming off a fantastic performance at the World Cup, Rio is as healthy as ever and Anderson is waiting to show everyone that he will be this year’s front runner for the Balon D’Or. And if you buy that, Fergie and Malcolm Glazer have some shopping mall swampland for sale in Florida that might interest you. 😉 😉 😀 😀

July 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

@Jeet: That’s giving shit a bad name.

July 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm

@johnsom33: I think Hernandez is the real deal but like every Mexican before him, completely unsuited for life in England or the style of play in the Premier League. He will be a royal Forlanian bust, will be sold for pennies and be the top scorer in 4 years in Spain. 😀

July 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm

@Stephen: If Fergie is all about kids, fine, just buy the proper ones. They have spent a small fortune on the likes of Obertan, Hernandez and Smalling and for that money could have bought far superior young talent like Ozil and others who have already proven themselves at the highest level in Europe. Buy young players with pedigree, not lottery picks or speculative players. For me Smalling has to be one of the dumbest moves of all time based on his lack of playing experience at the highest level, his bloated price and the fact we could have bought proven young players like Alves or Kjaer for a little bit more. Nobody at OT is doing their jobs correctly when it comes to assessing and buying young talent. I have no doubt that Hernandez is fine young talent but when you buy a player, you have to ask if his style, his culture and his needs are best met and or satisfied in Manchester? I think we have a manager who has been counting on his senile brother and the rest of the worthless scouting staff we have who cannot tell the difference between class and chaff.

July 21, 2010 at 6:50 pm

@The devil: The first time something controversial happens to Balotelli like he gets benched for a game or is subbed off in a tie match or is brought on with only a minute left, he will explode and the cancer will then immediately start to spread like wildfire. But then again, he could be the next Ronaldo if he can learn to grow up and respect his manager and learn from him the way Ronaldo did. All I know is unlike Inter fans, if he takes off a United shirt and throws it to the ground and spits on it, the fans of United would murder him.

July 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm

@Wink: 😯 damn you cant trust your underage prostitutes any more can you?

July 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

@Wink: damn how much ???

July 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

@The devil: or V never wanted the cunt and our link with him was pure media conjecture… or fergi conjuring bad karma citehs way 😎

July 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm

@Karl: wow your gonna switch to rugby??? someone check him for pills and razors

cheer up man you go to war with the army you have… if we get the best out of our boys this year there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to compete on all fronts and bring home some glory. BELIEVE 😈 😮

July 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Agreed. Why buy Smalling when we could have got Kjaer? Smalling is an example of the Walcott phenomen. Just because a player is English all he has to do is show the slightest bit of talent and he will be snapped up for double figures.

Of course Fergie would argue if we didn’t move then Arsenal would have got him. But who really cares? The same logic was used to sign Anderson and we all know how that deal worked out!!

Hernandez is a class act but typically Latin American players do much better using Spain as a stepping stone. Tevez is probably one of the few examples of a player who has gone straight from Latin America to the Premier League and tore it up. But then he had played for South America’s two biggest clubs for quite a few seasons whereas Hernandez has played in only the Mexican league.

Players like Valencia are a positive footnote but even he needed a few seasons at Wigan to make his mark and we do not have the same luxury of giving players lots of games until they came good. In fact that is partly the reason the Forlan move failed-just as he was starting to come good we let him go, instead of giving him a regular run in the side.

Meanwhile on the other side of town Liverpool are acting like they have signed Messi. Gerrard is coming out and saying he feels good about Liverpool’s future now they have Joe Cole on board. And Im hearing he is on a £5 million a year four year contract.

Thank God we stayed away from Cole. That is the only credit I will give Fergie this summer.

City are welcome to Balotelli. We don’t need talented prima donnas. We need hard working team players with class who are dedicated to the cause and help us punch above our weight. The German team’s work ethic is exactly what we need and Ozil would be a great fit

25. Darth Red Diablo

July 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm

A Genie granted me a wish.
    I said that I wanted to live forever… The fairy said that she was sorry but she couldn’t do that. She asked me to make another wish… I said,
    “Alright Then… I want to Die when Liverpool win the league.”

“YOU TRICKY CUNT!!” replied the fairy! :mrgreen: 😆

July 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm

@Grognard: it seems like this story is not going away Steven Defour

July 21, 2010 at 8:05 pm

July 21, 2010 at 8:29 pm

@Karl: I have honestly never seen fan morale as low as it is right now. I cant speak for the rest of you but i have absolutely no fucking interest in this current season, i am bloody dreading it. I can just see the same old same old once again.
    Let me make a few guesses for what the coming season holds.

1. Neville, scholes and giggs will be main stays in the team, and will make atleast 40+ appearances next season, which will result in all 3 being given new 1 year contracts, probably along with edwin.
    2. Our team will play 4-5-1 once again for the majority of the season, boring us to hell.
    3. We will score less goals next season, with owngoalinho deserting us and rooney struggling for form for the first few months of the season, and the oldies becoming less effective while featuring heavily. We will also conceed more goals next season, as rio will become more injury prone and vida will become disinterested as in his heart he dreams of madrid. Oh and neville will be there featuring for the entire season. Oh goody, where we would be without good old nev.
    4. Rooney will make a slow start to the season, with goals becoming hard to come by for the first few months. Eventually though rooney and the team will start to get into some form, rooney will get into his stride and on the whole will probably once again have a good season. However towards the business end of the season he will suffer an injury that will mean we play berbatov up top on his own, and go on a bad run of a form. Even though were not a one man team right fergie.
    5. The youngsters fergie is bigging up right now will probably make about 10 appearances next season, most of which are in the carling cup or other meaningless games.
    6. We will finish 3rd, no where near good enough to win the title, and we will hear once again “we were unlucky” and a whole host of other reasons that bad luck struck. But theres no reason to fear because we will then be told we will win it next season, without any evidence to prove this other than its fergie word so we must believe.
    7. Season after and the cycle begins again. The oldies get new contracts, fergie claims this is the youngsters year to shine, we buy 1 maybe 2 kids from abroad whilst hearing there is still no value for money and the team is good. All this whilst once again totally ignoring the top players or the positions that need to be filled right now and not in 5 years time. Meanwhile some of the players that have been mentioned on here (ozil, rodwell, neuer etc) will all make moves to other top teams and become top top players for their respective clubs while we count on gibson, anderson, smalling and hernandez to do the business and win us back the league.

July 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm

@colver: Tevez has succeeded in England because he plays like a chicken with his head cut off. He’s a terrier and that suits the English style and pace very well. The rest of the Latin players play a slow approaching continental game and only show pace on counters. Hernandez is ready to play anywhere but in England. It will take him a long while to get adjusted to this game and I have serious doubts whether he will. It is yet another arrogant signing by Fergie who continues to carry the myth that Brazil and other latin countries have a kinetic bond with him. He needs to look for more players who are suited to the Prem, not to his romantic notions.

July 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm

@Darth Red Diablo: 😆 😆 😆 Long life to you then mate.

July 21, 2010 at 8:49 pm

@gator: I mean now we are reduced to scraps from Belgium. The best talent Belgium has developed in the past 25 years is Daniel van Buyten and thats not saying much. Where do they find these stiffs?
    Fergie seems obsessed with this new policy of looking for diamonds in the rough. The only thing he is going to find in the rough are weekend golfers.

July 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Christ mate, that is almost exactly what I wrote the other day. Are you sure we don’t have the same father? 😉 😆 😆

I can honestly I hate this Manchester united team and it’s coaching and scouting staff. I despise the owners and loathe their fucking existence. So why am i still around and hanging on? Because 35 years as a die hard fan tells me you cannot bail out on them now when hope seems almost gone. I love the franchise and the history but other than two or three players on this club, I hate the lot. Christ, I have never been a Neville, Scholes fan and I detest Anderson, Park, Foster (thank God we are rid of that git), Welbeck, Obertan and a slew of other players who just get on my bloody nerves. Who do I love? Rooney, Fletcher, Vidic (although my mood towards him is rapidly shifting), Nani and believe it or not Mickey Owen. My real favourite is Hargreaves but lets face it, he’s history. As for the rest, I can take them or leave them.

Now just to annoy those who would love to see me walk and go root for Bayern only, let me say how many present Bayern players I love. Lahm, van Buyten, van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Robben, Muller, Klose, and their coaches and GM’s. Hell Rummenigge is my all time favourite player and as President of Bayern it’s like having Cantona as President of United. In the end Bayern will probably also sign Ozil and Neuer or Adler and that will just add to my band of brothers that I love.

The point is Bayern are buying or developing players I like or love. Hell, I can even tolerate Scarface Ribery and that stiff of a striker Mario Gomez. United gives me nothing to cheer for and nothing to look forward to. They just keep signing up no hopers and enigmas and expect us to tolerate their lack of interest in the transfer market as we buy in to the old man’s lies. HELL NO I WON’T DO IT. I’ve had with this team and the way the conduct business and the way they piss into the faces of their legions of supporters worldwide. So my love affair with United is on hold. I am at war with them right now. Just call me the Oliver Cromwell of Man Utd.

July 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm

@tonymontanna4united: “Now let me bookmark this page and ill come back to this post in 12 months time, and i bet the majority of my points prove true.”

It doesn’t matter mate. You’ll still have the same optimistic numpties come on here and tell us the team had a decent season and that the young kids will be even better next season and that they think Fergie will buy such and such a player next summer. Some of these fans deserve Fergie and this present team. They deserve each other. Gluttons for punishment and masochists of the first order.

Fooled me once……..???????? shame on….????? shame on you……..Fooled me twice……you can’t fool me again. (George W. Bush) 😆 😆 😆

One of the stupidist things I have heard a leader say unless you add the idiotic things Fergie has been saying for two years now. They give Bush a run for the money. Now I just wished that many of the fans of this club would wake up and stop acting like Bush and actually show some intelligence and common sense and stop buying in to the Old Trafford Propoganda machine which spouts lies upon lies. It should be “Fooled me once shame on you. Folled me twice I’ll fucking take a chainsaw to you motherfuckers” (Grognard 2010) 😀 Stop being willing pawns for this team. If you people love something badly enough, you need to let it go so that it can purge itself of the cancer that is consuming it.

July 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm

@Grognard: :mrgreen: We think alike i guess.

As for united, i feel the same. Not only is this team not that good talent wise, it also just seems incredibly boring. We are short of leaders who will inspire the team and make the other 10 players want to run through brick walls for the cause.
    We are short of confidence players who think they are the dogs bollocks (nani might come under that category which is why i love the guy and always had time for him).
    Players who have the balls to try and do something magic, and score a goal most people would never even think of trying.
    I am just getting sick and tired of seeing the same old faces. The same old lack of talent, lack of leadership. Just lack of something new and exciting really.
    We always used to freshen up the squad, to keep it from going stale. If we were replacing first teamers, then we were adding to the squad, or the coaching staff or whatever. Now its just the same old bloody old. I am sick of seeing phelan look void of ideas on the touchline. I am sick of seeing fergie with his smug bloody face smiling and saying hes happy with the squad.
    I am sick of the crap players who are either past it or were never good enough to deserve to be here. I am sick of the boring 4-5-1 shit we play and lack of flair.
    At the end of the day it all goes back to fergie. He controls the club, he is more than a manager really he controls each and every aspect of the club. I think tbh he needs to get with the times and freshen up.
    I absolutely hate man city but in many ways i am seeing parallels of the way we came on the scene and disposed of liverpool in the early 90s, to today.
    This man utd team is a team that will not win the major prizes. A team that is putting too much faith on the hope the likes of gibson will be world beaters. A team that no longer buys the best and has no money now and for the forseeable future. A team that to me just looks old and needs freshening up from top to bottom.
    City on the other hand are the team with money to burn. A team that wants to buy the best and only the best. A team that long term looks set to dominate if they get their act together.
    Its not easy me praising shitty, because i hate them with a passion. Before 2 years i could have sworn their sole reason for being on this earth was just to annoy us.
    But i just see so many parallels between us right now to liverpool in the early 90s, and city now to us in the 90s.
    I dont know if im the only one who thinks that but i really do see us following the route of liverpool and declining and declining while city improve year on year.
    That would be fucking hell to me, but this united team is just not the united i knew. It is just so fucking boring. No leaders, too many work man like players and not enough flair players. Shit football. Shit kits. Shit fucking owners who are responsible for everything wrong with our club right now.
    I am just really not looking forward to the future with united, im really not. All i see ahead is the continuing decline of a once great club. How far we decline i feel we see in the next 2/3 years, but however far it is its wrong. It really should never have bloody well come to this.

July 21, 2010 at 11:27 pm

for those of you that are excited to see what our youngsters look like on the pitch and are not too jaded to watch them in action

Los liiiiiiiiiiiiinks

36. RedTan

July 21, 2010 at 11:35 pm

@tonymontanna4united: To quote fergie “Go support Chelsea then” or in your case beyern. Go read my post that was posted this morning and went liive this evening if you would please. It starts “I agree on the kit” Seems every thing I post here takes half a day to go live, it is starting to piss me of to be hones

Sorry tony thought I was replying to Gonkard

July 22, 2010 at 12:06 am

kuz
    evra? osh brown fabio
    obertan scholes gigs cleverly
    macheda welly

July 22, 2010 at 12:32 am

evans not evra derp 🙁

July 22, 2010 at 1:01 am

@tonymontanna4united: Several problems as I see it. I agree with what you said. This club is sadly looking for the kind of leadership Scholes, Giggs and Rio don’t offer. They are quiet players and try to lead by example. A lot of good that does when you are either injured or just too old to make the difference in games. As for Neville, well he is loud but then again, if i played for United I would have stuffed a sock full of manure up his mouth the first time he got in my face. Why? Because as a player he has always sucked for me and always been caught out of position (not a good way to mentor the likes of Rafael) and secondly, I cannot stand a screamer who is in my face but who himself sucks supremely and is injured most of the time. I’d tell him to sod off for damn sure.

The next piece of the puzzle that’s missing is like you said, players who have the dog’s bollocks and have the courage to make things happen and take risks. Nani has that and Rooney does when he is in form and then there is………………………………….NOBODY ELSE. Clearly we miss a Ronaldo or a Cantona.

I also think what we really need more than anything is a set piece taker. Our free kick takers are shite. We need a maestro and artist who can bend the ball like Beckham or hammer it with accuracy like Ballack or Koeman but right now we have nobody who can really call himself an expert at this skill. Even our corner takers are shite for the most part. Nani tries but he shows too much inconsistency with his takes. A player like Schneijder or Ozil would solve both of these problems instantly.

I am tired of 4-5-1 because unlike Germany, the Dutch and other teams, we do not play 4-2-3-1. Our wide guys play to wide and so it is a 4-5-1 and this creates so much separation from the creative players and our lone striker that it just hurts to watch it unless we get away on a nice counter. Valencia is ok and I think he is a good player and all but I’m sorry, he just doesn’t light my fire. Gibson connects with a screamer once out of every 15 tries so for me he is frustrating as hell, Park is a colossal waste of time in attack and yet he does have his days where he plays well and everyone then jumps on his bandwagon even though they have forgotten all those other times he has sucked. I don’t even want to talk about Obertan. He just plain sucks. A left winger with no left foot and the finishing skill of Gary Pallister. What a treat. 🙄 I won’t even talk about Anderson as he is the worst player to ever play for United and last more than a season. I will never ever get what Fergie or Eddy or anybody else sees in this washout. Carrick had potential but he clearly cannot cut it pressure wise with a club like this. Send him to a small team where he can excel because there is no great pressure to perform at the highest level. The guy is as slow as molasses and he has the quickness of a beach deep sea turtle. He has teased us at times but lets face it, he’s a bust. For me the only guy worth watching other than Rooney and Nani is Fletcher for his improving skills, pace and grit. He gives this club the graft and effort that is needed and then can deliver a long pass or get in the box and deliver a header or a volley.

I still love Vidic as a player but his attitude and need to leave has pissed me of and Evra for me is a good LB but a frustrating skinned sausage at times who can implode at any time. Rio is done like dinner and EVDS still is great keeper but it’s time a younger man took over that role. And finally, the man in charge should retire and open the door for you know who. 😀

Then we have Giggs and Scholes who are just too old to take seriously anymore as players and who are just too damn quite. Certainly no Roy Keane amongst these three, that’s for sure. And EVDS is a keeper and the day I listen to a keeper as a player is the day I seriously would look to another profession. With all due respect tot he likes of Casillas and Kahn, keepers are meant to direct traffic in the box, stop shots and then shut the fuck up.

July 22, 2010 at 1:07 am

@tonymontanna4united: That long post of mine seemed to do a weird thing when I posted it. Everything got jumbled around and it was too late for me to change it. The last paragraph for example should be the second paragraph in the whole piece. OOP! Sorry if it doesn’t make sense.

July 22, 2010 at 1:08 am

@gator: Thanks mate but I so don’t give a damn about our youngsters. What the Hell have we become a bloody daycare centre? 😀 😀

July 22, 2010 at 1:16 am

It’s official, that has got to be the ugliest home kit United has ever had. The red isn’t scarlet, it’s like Arsenal’s and the look has the feel of the 70’s. It’s so awful that fans don’t need to think of boycotting Glazer to not buy it. They won’t buy it because it’s donkey butt ugly 😆 😆 😆

July 22, 2010 at 2:56 am

@Grognard: Well, the way I see it, the upcoming season is a watershed event for United – as a team, for the manager, and for the club as a whole.

The path to the future is being paved as we speak, it’s direction has been determined, and the soldiers marching down it could well be lacking the weapons to fight the battles ahead.

But who knows, this team just might gel and become much more than the sum of it parts.

I have much more confidence in Ferguson than you do, and I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt to him at this stage, and while I have little faith in our squad, as individuals, I’m asking for a modicum of patience, hoping that some maturity and some unseen talent surfaces from the depths.

The whole idea of slaying our club with observant barbs and rhetorical epithets that support our opinion, does seem a little disingenuous and, come to think of it, a little self defeating.
    We have a situation that is far from ideal (of course, they don’t want to talk about it) and there is very little that, apparently, can be done about it. The best way forward seems to be the best foot forward (I’m afraid), and without success, our future will probably depend on those that have no vested interest in the concerns of our history, and perhaps our way ahead.

I share your pessimism and I share your ire for our position. The situation is tenuous!! But our hatred for this mess does need to be tempered. We do need to support our club, it’s emblem, and the history that has brought us to this point in time.

Regardless of what happens, I will always support United. I will always celebrate their victories and always mourn their defeats.

It’s become a time of purgatory for us that have wallowed in the successes – maybe we just have to take the bad times with the good??!!

July 22, 2010 at 3:54 am

@Redrich: And that’s why I’m still around mate. Despite everything I love this club and I do support it but at the same time, I am pulling for change and for a complete overhaul at the top of the pyramid. Fergie will probably get the most out of these young kids and aging lions but like I have said so many times before, for me the battle is not about the product on the field. Sure I care about how they play and I admit to being bored silly but this present squad, but for me, the problem is ownership and and the group in management that support the owners and are helping them drain the club of it’s last lifeblood.

This has little to do with affairs on the pitch. And this is my cause and my crusade. Glazer’s have to be stopped and all those who are allied with them have to be stopped. I wish I could just bitch about the football. If it was just about football, this would be a decent time for us. But it’s about so much more. I have supported the club for 35 years and although I doubt I’ll have another 35 more, I’d like to think I can look forward to a couple more decades of excellence while I’m alive and beyond that. And right now their is a lot of doubt.

July 22, 2010 at 4:13 am

Ozil is going to Barca — currently meeting with officials in Barcelona. Sourcy

July 22, 2010 at 4:15 am

Anyone watch the United – Philadelphia Union friendly game?

I thought it was generally boring, but Obertan and Welbeck came out looking rather good. Rafael’s 30 minute cameo was impressive as well. I must admit that our midfield looked very weak in both halves and we were unable to keep possession. Fergie did not look happy either.

With Ozil going to Barca, I think only Rodwell is left in the market that would be worthy of his 20 million transfer fee

July 22, 2010 at 4:21 am

@Grognard: I agree. I do not like the shirts. It’s like they were indecisive whether to be modern or retro and went wishy-washy.

July 22, 2010 at 4:22 am

@Redrich: Hear hear!

49. Don

July 22, 2010 at 5:09 am

Cleverly best performing youngster in this game with Obertan and Welbeck a close second. Rafael seems so much more steady than Fabio its unreal..possibly because Fabio is playing on the left as a ritghty..but he has played there his while career but he just seems less steady on the ball and more prone to losing it….Macheda still looks good but didn’t link up well today…he has very nice touch and is quick but needs to link up better…its funny almost like Fergie wanted to try the old youth/reserve pairing of Welbeck Macheda but it didn’t quite come off…this game should have easily been a draw or United loss but good result all the same..Obertan just needs to know when to slow down a tad and pick his moments to use his pace and skill..more often than not he looks a man in a hurry and forgets the ball or gives it away cheaply…Scholes pure class..GIggs facilitating…COrry Evans cameo was ok..looked a busy little player…