Manchester United’s penultimate game of the 2017-18 Premier League season takes place at the London Stadium this evening as we take on West Ham United.
We already have second place wrapped up, whilst the Hammers, down in 15th, have secured their Premier League status for another season.
With the FA Cup final a little more than a week away, Jose Mourinho may field his strongest side this evening before resting the players he plans to start at Wembley when we face Watford this Sunday.
Here’s the team I think we’ll see taking on West Ham:
Goalkeeper: David de Gea
The Spaniard has recently won the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award, Premier League Golden Glove and been named in the Premier League Team of the Season following his exceptional performances this season. Sergio Romero may get a game on the final day of the season but expect to see David de Gea between the sticks again tonight.
Defence: Antonio Valencia, Victor Lindelof, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young
Jose hasn’t got long to sort out a defence for the cup final. Eric Bailly has been absent for a few weeks now and Phil Jones has only just recovered from his injury. Therefore I think we’ll see Victor Lindelof continuing alongside Chris Smalling in the middle of a back four. Captain Antonio Valencia will keep his position down the right before being rested at the weekend, whilst Ashley Young starts at left-back.
Midfield: Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera, Paul Pogba
This has been the boss’ first-choice midfield trio in recent weeks and I don’t expect any changes particularly with Marouane Fellaini ruled out of this game through injury. Nemanja Matic will continue to protect the back four whilst Ander Herrera is a bundle of energy in midfield who wins the ball back and lays it off to one of his teammates to start the attacks. Paul Pogba will be expected to face Chelsea next weekend but the French international could do with a performance at the London Stadium this evening.
Attack: Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Alexis Sanchez
Alexis Sanchez is fit again and I think Jose will give the Chilean a start on Thursday to get him back up to speed before the cup final. As we’re expecting Jesse Lingard to start the cup final I think that will give him the nod over Juan Mata this evening. The England international defenders better than Mata, which the boss will be expecting against left wingback Marcos Alonso in the final. Romelu Lukaku has been ruled out for the final two games of the season so it’s between Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial to start this one up front and with Martial constantly linked with a move away from the club I think Rashford gets the call to keep him happy and gain more experience in the striker’s role.
Here’s the team on paper:
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups