Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may prefer Dean Henderson over David De Gea for the number one jersey next season.
Solskjaer found himself in limbo last season as Henderson and De Gea shared goalkeeping duties.
The Spain international began the season as the team’s first-choice keeper, but he was forced to sit on the bench for a while.
When the 30-year-old went on paternity leave, Solskjaer chose Henderson to take over in goal.
He grabbed his chance with both hands by putting in some impressive displays.
However, his performance was heavily criticised following an embarrassing 4-2 loss to Liverpool.
In the Europa League final, the manager handed De Gea the gloves, casting doubt on the England international’s future at Old Trafford.
The former Atletico Madrid shot-stopper produced an under-par display against Villarreal, failing to stop any of the 11 penalties.
To add to his misery, it was his spot-kick which was easily saved by his opposite number to force another trophyless season on the Red Devils.
According to a new report from Manchester Evening News, the Norweigan “is edging towards Dean Henderson as his number one goalkeeper next season.”
This decision may force the Spaniard to look for a new club this summer.
With a weekly salary of £375,000, he is the club’s highest earner.
It doesn’t make any sense for United to pay this handsome wage to a player who won’t play regularly.
If De Gea’s exit is sanctioned, Solskjaer may have to venture into the transfer market to sign a robust back-up to Henderson.
Tom Heaton is expected to arrive at Old Trafford in this transfer window.
However, it is unlikely that the 35-year old will be counted on to play second fiddle in the goalkeeping department.
- Manchester United unwilling to let Daniel James leave
- AC Milan to make another bid for Manchester United’s Diogo Dalot
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United