Manchester United have pitched Roma with the idea of swapping midfielders as they continue to pursue a deal for Nicolo Zaniolo, as per Roma News.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hopes to bolster his offensive options in the summer and is continuing to monitor Zanioli’s situation.
United were in the driving seat to sign the Italian prodigy almost two years ago, but the 21-year-old’s ruptured cruciate ligament hampered their plans.
The attacking midfielder picked up a long-term injury in January 2020 and has yet to return to full fitness.
However, Zaniolo is edging closer to a long-awaited return and may feature for Roma in the closing stages of the season.
Solskjaer has never given up the idea of landing one of the hottest Italian talents, with the youngster ticking all the boxes for the type of player he wants to recruit.
According to the Italian source, the Red Devils have offered out-of-favour Donny van de Beek as part of a swap deal that would see Zaniolo moving in the opposite direction.
The Dutch midfielder has failed to adapt to the new challenge since completing his £35 million move from Ajax last summer.
After finding himself at the bottom of the pecking order this season, the 24-year-old is poised to depart Old Trafford for regular first-team action.
Although Roma are interested in van de Beek, they are adamant Zaniolo is not for sale under any circumstances.
The Giallorossi reportedly rebuffed United’s approach as they deem their starlet central to the club’s project moving forward.
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is not under pressure to select Cristiano Ronaldo every game