Manchester United head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has earmarked Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho as a potential replacement for Alexis Sanchez, but he is prepared to wait until next summer to finalise a transfer agreement for the teenager.
The Red Devils have decided to part ways with both Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez to Inter Milan this month and this sees them with just Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford as the senior striking options with young graduate Mason Greenwood expected to provide cover from the bench.
Moreover, Martial seems to be struggling with a thigh injury sustained during the recent Premier League clash against Crystal Palace and that could see more minutes for Greenwood for the weekend’s league game at Southampton.
Despite the lack of depth, Solskjaer seems prepared to gamble with the options at hand and Evening Standard claims that the Norwegian would seek to pursue a centre-forward such as Fernando Llorente, who is available on a free transfer.
Instead, the United manager seems focused on recruiting Sancho from the ranks of Borussia Dortmund and it is suggested that any proposal could be delayed until the end of the campaign, given the Bundesliga outfit are unlikely to sanction a mid-season sale.
Sancho is widely regarded as one of the best young attackers in Europe and he has started the current campaign for Dortmund in sublime fashion with three goals and three assists from just four appearances in all competitions.
The England international has recently been reported to have signed a bumper contract at Dortmund but that does not seem to have dampened Solskjaer’s prospects of landing him. Still, United will have to break the bank next summer to convince Dortmund into sanctioning the winger’s sale.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa