Former Old Trafford star Robin Van Persie applauded Martial’s performance as United book their semi-final spot in the Europa League.
The Red Devils had 14 shots on target and hit the woodwork twice. They still couldn’t wrap up the game under 90 minutes of regular play giving them a hint that it was one of those days. Right when things seemed dodgy, Anthony Martial won a penalty when we has hauled down in the box by Andreas Bjelland in extra-time. Bruno made no mistake from the spot, drilling his shot to the back of the net beating the dive of the opposition keeper.
It was indeed the substitution of Juan Mata and Nemanja Matic that helped turned the tide in favour of the English giants. However, it was the performance of Anthony Martial that was the talk of the town. The Frenchman was hopelessly unlucky to not find the net despite a string of well-timed runs.
Van Persie was full of praise for Martial afterwards, describing him as “world-class”. While talking to BT sport viewers, he said,
“The outstanding player for me tonight was Martial. When he switches it on he’s just too fast, too silky and wow, what a player!”
The Dutchman later followed up his comments with more praise for the United forward –
‘Martial, what a player he is. He is such a joy to watch. It’s like he’s having a kick-about in his own garden. What I like about Martial is he has an eye for his team-mates – he isn’t just playing for himself. He always has an eye for his team-mates and that’s what sets him apart form very good players. That’s why I think he’s world class. He can provide, he can give assists, he dribbles, he’s fast but he has great awareness of what’s around him’.
Robin Van Persie remains revered at Old Trafford as an iconic striker of his time, but he is backing Wolves to clinch the Europa title. Wolves will face Sevilla in their quarter-final draw tonight and the winner will have to battle it out against Manchester United for a place in the final.
During an interview with BT Sport, van Persie was asked who he thinks will win the competition outright and his response has delighted Wolves fans.
“I would love Wolves to win it,” he said. “It would be unbelievable.”
This came a revelation for the fans at Old Trafford. They are ought to be furious about it.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa