Reports on the Mirror suggest that Sir Alex Ferguson is confident Robin Van Persie will join United.
The news, a bombshell in itself, loses some credibility as the “exclusive” is also reported by the Daily Mail even though the Mail takes an uncharacteristic low-profile approach, claiming that nothing is finalised as yet.
After reading the Mirror one would be forgiven for thinking that the Arsenal striker is all but a United player:
“Manchester United believe they have won the £20million race to sign Robin van Persie.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is confident the Arsenal captain will team up with Wayne Rooney to form a formidable strike-force in a rebuilt side he hopes can win back the title.”
Van Persie scored 30 league goals last year and his (alleged) arrival would more than likely see Dimitar Berbatov pitch his tent somewhere else.
Fergie has admitted the Bulgarian might leave the club, as reported by the Mail and the Mirror, but Sky Sports claims that the United manager would be happy for Berbatov to stay at the club.
“The boy has a future, but if he wants to leave it is a different matter.
“I am easy about it if he stays. I would be happy with that. But if someone comes in and Dimitar wants to leave, we will assess it.”
Meanwhile, away from transfers stories, United got their pre-season underway with a 1-0 win against Amazulu United in South Africa, with Federico Macheda scoring the only goal of an entertaining game.
Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez both started for United, with youngsters Tyler Blackett, Ryan Tunncliffe, Davide Petrucci and Scott Wootton also playing a part in the game.
United spurned a few chances and Anders Lindegaard was forced into action more than once but was impeccable between the posts.
Shinji Kagawa entered the game in the dying moments and nearly played Dimitar Berbatov through with his first touch.
Amazulu vs Manchester United, watch the highlights.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham