The United left-back went to ground after a strong challenge from PSV’s Hector Moreno after what immediately looked to be a serious injury and had to be carried off the pitch while receiving oxygen.
“Luke Shaw has suffered a double fracture of the leg,” a spokesperson for United said, adding Shaw will now be transferred to Manchester to be operated on.
Louis Van Gaal said the injury was a cruel blow for the 19-year-old, who had so far done so well in his second season at Old Trafford
“He has a double leg fracture. He’s in hospital and he’ll be transfered tomorrow with us or maybe a day later,” Van Gaal said.
“A boy who came at 18 to Manchester and found it very difficult, then in his second season he’s fantastic, and then it happens like this.
“He was in the dressing room with the oxygen mask… he was crying.”
Thank you everyone for your messages , words can’t describe how gutted I am , my road to recovery starts now, I will come back stronger.
— Luke Shaw (@LukeShaw23) September 15, 2015
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion