According to Sky Sports transfer expert Kaveh Solhekol, Liverpool may be out of the race to sign Manchester United target Thiago entirely.
Speaking on the show Transfer Talk, he said: “As far as Liverpool are concerned, these stories are driven by the German side of any potential deal”. “Liverpool have not made a move for Thiago and the move would be dependent on a midfielder leaving the club.
He added: “Liverpool are more interested in a pre-contract offer. There is no burning need for Thiago now. The club can make a move in January to sign him on a free transfer. The club are not comfortable paying 25-30 million for a 29-year-old injury-prone player.”
This is great news for Manchester United.
The Spanish playmaker was a favourite to join Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool this summer.
The lack of funds due to the impact of the coronavirus crisis has left Liverpool unable to complete the deal without selling a few players. Their inability to complete this deal early allowed Manchester United and then Barcelona to enter this race.
Liverpool’s move for Thiago also depends on the transfer of Georginio Wijnaldum to Barcelona. New Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman is a fan of the midfielder and would like to link up with him at Barca after working with him at the national front.
If Barcelona move for Wijnaldum, they may not need a reunion with Thiago. Though, it would pull Liverpool back in the race.
The Red Devils would have to act quickly if they want to sign the Champions League winner before the transfer puzzle of Wijnaldum gets over. Though, United’s interest in the playmaker may also wane following the arrival of Ajax midfielder Donny Van De Beek.
The saga for securing Thiago’s services may drag on till the end of summer. It remains to be seen whether the Spaniard would go back to Spain or seek out a new challenge in the Premier League.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham