Manchester United are set to face Wolverhampton Wanderers in their final Premier League fixture of the season on Sunday.
The Red Devils will have one eye on the Europa League final against Villarreal which is scheduled just three days after the Wolves game.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskajer was quizzed on various topics before the weekend’s clash. The most important update concerned Harry Maguire’s fitness.
The United skipper suffered an ankle ligament injury against Aston Villa two weeks ago.
Since then, he has been seen on the sidelines with crutches and protective boots, indicating that the team may be forced to play the final without him being involved.
Solskjaer has now confirmed that he doesn’t see the England international regaining fitness in time for the final clash.
He said: “He’s walking but it’s a long way from walking to running, to be honest.
“I don’t think we’ll see him in Gdansk, no. But I’m going to give him until Tuesday night, last training session, to see if he can be out there.
“Steadily but surely he’s improving. But ligaments take time to heal.
“He’s a very important person in the dressing room and a leader.
“Before fans came in you all heard him from the stands, he does still want the team to do well, he’s organising even from the stands, which has been easy because it’s been so quiet.
“He’ll come, he’ll be in the dressing room, he’ll make sure everyone’s ready for the final.
These comments will dash the hopes of United fans who were full of optimism after they saw Maguire walking without any crutches yesterday.
The Norwegian has a big call to make on who will partner Victor Lindelof in the final.
The game against Wolves will probably serve as an audition for Eric Bailly and Axel Tuanzebe.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash