As per The Telegraph’s James Ducker, Manchester United’s boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is thought to be open to sending Brandon Williams to Southampton for the rest of the season on loan.
Williams is valued at around €36m. [source: CIES Football Observatory]
The 20-year-old made 36 appearances last term and enjoyed a breakthrough season.
This season, however, Williams has fallen down the pecking order after the arrival of Alex Telles. The U-21 English full-back has played only six minutes of league football this season.
Williams’ ability to play either left-back or right-back makes him a lucrative catch. Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl wants to bring competition in his squad through Williams.
Newcastle United are interested in signing Williams too.
United should let Williams leave United on a temporary basis. It will be a step forward in his development. Southampton are playing well at the moment, fourth in the league table and third in the form table. Assuming he gets more games at Southampton, he would benefit a lot from the exposure and extra minutes on the pitch.
However, United’s heavy schedule means any injury to Telles or Shaw – who has an extensive injury record – will leave United needing Williams as backup. United are still playing in four competitions, and Williams will be needed at some time in the season.
If United can ensure playing time for Williams at St Mary’s, and use academy graduates in rotation if needed, this is the right move for all sides.
United signed left-back Alvaro Fernandes (Real Madrid) and right-back Marc Jurado (Barcelona) during the summer transfer window. They’re young, but could be used coming in for rotation if needed.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta