Southampton are close to signing Brandon Williams on a loan deal from Manchester United, according to The Athletic.
The Saints are said to be long term admirers of the 20-year-old, attempting to sign him in both the previous two transfer windows.
However, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted to keep Williams at Old Trafford and refused to sanction a loan move.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side are currently in the market to sign a new left-back after Ryan Bertrand joined Leicester City on a free transfer.
The two clubs have yet to reach an agreement on a loan fee but that is not expected to be a problem.
The 20-year-old academy graduate progressed through the ranks to earn his first-team debut against Rochdale in September 2019.
He racked up 42 appearances across all competition for United during the 2019-20 season, bagging a goal and seven assists.
However, the talented defender made only 19 total appearances last season, with only an assist to his name.
This will be a welcome move for Williams and will give him much-needed first-team action while United opt for more experienced options at both left-back (Luke Shaw, Alex Telles) and right-back (Aaron Wan-Bissaka).
United have Diogo Dalot coming back from Milan and could easily use him as a back-up on either flank
The club are also pursuing a deal for Kieran Trippier although this looks dead in the water given the player’s price tag.
With Ethan Laird breaking through in the reserves, it makes perfect sense for Williams to go out on loan and for Dalot and Laird to provide back-up for Wan-Bissaka.
If Williams develops well he could be back in the playing squad at Old Trafford in a couple of seasons.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta