Southampton are close to signing Brandon Williams on a loan deal from Manchester United, according to The Athletic.
The Saints are said to be long term admirers of the 20-year-old, attempting to sign him in both the previous two transfer windows.
However, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted to keep Williams at Old Trafford and refused to sanction a loan move.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side are currently in the market to sign a new left-back after Ryan Bertrand joined Leicester City on a free transfer.
The two clubs have yet to reach an agreement on a loan fee but that is not expected to be a problem.
The 20-year-old academy graduate progressed through the ranks to earn his first-team debut against Rochdale in September 2019.
He racked up 42 appearances across all competition for United during the 2019-20 season, bagging a goal and seven assists.
However, the talented defender made only 19 total appearances last season, with only an assist to his name.
This will be a welcome move for Williams and will give him much-needed first-team action while United opt for more experienced options at both left-back (Luke Shaw, Alex Telles) and right-back (Aaron Wan-Bissaka).
United have Diogo Dalot coming back from Milan and could easily use him as a back-up on either flank
The club are also pursuing a deal for Kieran Trippier although this looks dead in the water given the player’s price tag.
With Ethan Laird breaking through in the reserves, it makes perfect sense for Williams to go out on loan and for Dalot and Laird to provide back-up for Wan-Bissaka.
If Williams develops well he could be back in the playing squad at Old Trafford in a couple of seasons.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides contract update about Manchester United star
- Manchester United unwilling to let Daniel James leave
- AC Milan to make another bid for Manchester United’s Diogo Dalot
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid