The Red Exodus | Rio Sure of Ron | Neville v Brown and Other Tales

Yesterday it came to everyone’s knowledge that 5 players from the United academy were released. A club statement was issued:

Midfielders Michael Barnes, Sean Evans and Ritchie Jones and defenders Kieran Lee and Michael Lea are all free to leave Old Trafford as of 30 June. Academy striker Chris Fagan and fellow scholar Conor McCormack have also been released.

The youth system was discussed in great detail yesterday, so I’ll spare you from another argument on the youth system.

Louis Saha wants to prove his fitness and stay on at United. I’ll give him credit for aiming to prove a point. But other than that his injury record has spoken enough that Fergie’s patience must have run thin by now. So sorry mate, we just can’t take any more chances with you.

And since this is a quiet day and will continue to be so, let me breeze through the rest for the day:

Gary Neville reckons he has a battle on his hands to force Brown off the right back position and reclaim it.

Rio Ferdinand is ‘sure’ that Ronaldo will return to United.

That’s all from me for now — aah, my head doesn’t feel right — a little rest and I’ll be ok. So off you go.

Till tomorrow.

1. k9

28 June 2008 at 10:52

Two months without football! Fuck! Should I hate holidays? 😀

2. joninjapan(incanada)

28 June 2008 at 11:50

this preseason i want to see a lot of welbeck.. manchuo. . brazilian twins? campbell and petrucci

(btw i tried looking up petrucci on youtube and all i got was the guitarist from dream theater. .so it wasn’t a total loss but i’m a bit chuffed that theres nothing out there on the lad)

sweet, click to edit is back :mrgreen:

3. Dan(u-ol)

28 June 2008 at 12:00

we wont see petrucci for a while to be honest, same with the twins, but they have a chance, a small one, but a chance.

4. joninjapan(incanada)

28 June 2008 at 12:09

@Dan(u-ol): its the preseason though, we hadd eagles playing a major role last preseason. . i dont care if we don’t see em much once the regular season starts (petrucci and the twins) but id like to see them get some time in during the preseason

5. Alpha_RS(MCRx3)

28 June 2008 at 13:48

Gary Neville should retire.

I think last season showed Wes Brown is a better right back.

6. TinManUnited

28 June 2008 at 14:50

What the fuck is Platini’s problem? Someone in his position should not be making any comments like the ones he has been making lately. This dude needs to be replaced.

7. TinManUnited

28 June 2008 at 14:53

Dickhead!

8. TowerMan

28 June 2008 at 16:43

Why United not buy player until right now???
    are we waiting until Ronaldo Gone????
    Suck!!!!!

9. Dan(u-ol)

28 June 2008 at 17:50

@joninjapan(incanada):

so, eagles is in his 20, the italian lad is 16, the twins have a slight chance but probably wont play a match.

28 June 2008 at 17:51

Everybody seems to be in buying mode right now and all United is doing is waiting and releasing players. I am reading reports that Ronaldo may be doing an about face and finally deciding to reject Real due to the fact they supposedly are going back on their money offer to him and claiming they will pay less. I don’t know how much of that I can believe but it may be encouraging and a surprise for all of us may be around the corner. Could he possibly pledge his future to us and actually mean it? I won’t keep my fingers crossed.

Huntelaar has just rejected Ajax offer and he has put out the alert to the Prem. Now Fergie! Now! Get your old Scottish ass in gear and make the deal happen. He wants to play for us. Get the clue.

11. donibrasco

28 June 2008 at 17:56

to be honest,platini is retarded.even if u dont like someone you dont wish him death.exactly what platini is doing.i get tired of seing former footballers in administration.they tend to have too much bias.then what is tappingup?
    pre seaon seems promising thoug i get tired of playing nobodies.the asian tour almost cost us with a very slow start.
    that said i dont care what we have,the youngstars have to be given a good chance next term.iam tired of hearing superkids who come and murder their game at old trafford.
    the clubs policy ensures that a game already won is not finished until oshea and fletch play

12. DMC

28 June 2008 at 18:33

@Grognard: Huntelaar has rejected a new contract because it has a £20m buyout clause. “If” he was Utd quality, and wanted a move, that would have been a great way out. Clearly he is not Utd quality.

Think of it this way, if Berbatov and Benzema both had £20m buyout clauses, would we hesitate a second in biting their hands off for both?!

13. RedDevil

28 June 2008 at 18:49

Hello everyone! Im back from my holidays in Italy. Great weather, warm and pleasant, but unfortunately I didnt have internet anywhere near. Had to get SMS`s like “Quiet at Old Trafford” and “Ronaldo hasnt said anything yet”. I watched some football thankfully, I cant live without it.
    Now, I dont think United can do anything with Ronaldo until he returns from his holidays in Italy. So I wiont care about that until the club has said something. Hopefully we wil hear some rumours about United chasing players rather than trying to keep themin the near future. I read one of the earlier articles about Ronaldinho and I would like him at United, but only if Ronaldo leaves. I wouldnt complain if Benzema chose to join us, and since he didnt play at all in the Euros he might be a little cheaper. Buy Ronaldinho, Benzema and Tevez(make him a real United player, not loan.) and do whatever they want with Ronny, keep everyone else, and this would be a perfect summer!

14. jos

28 June 2008 at 19:43

or prob just buy Berbatov. the guy is class and wants to play for us. he wont have madrid/barca dreams as well in 2-3 years (something we wont be sure about benzema or huntelaar)

4 class fwds in Rooney Tevez Berba and Saha (injury prone past but this could really be his year. and even if he can give 24 games as he did last season that should be enough)

plenty of options in midfield (scholes, carrick, andy, OH, fletch, JOS and even Giggs)
    same can be said about wings if ronaldo doesnt leave.

we will just need one cover for Evra. I would like one of the russian guys (zirkov or whatever was his name)

that should be it!!!
    total outlay maybe 30m (25m for berba + 5m for zirkov)

15. man utd - Aleksandar

28 June 2008 at 19:49

16. whiteY

28 June 2008 at 20:43

By Monday, Fergie will have returned from His Honeymoon with his dear wife, same for CQ and Gill. Then the business commences. These folks are experienced and I think that will come to fore in the coming weeks. As par The Ronaldo U Turn, I must admit that made me feel lighter, sort of. Is it possible that We can buy wisely this summer and still have CR7 for next season? That thought alone makes me want to jump, I guess I am saying that if He does pledge allegiance to United after all, I will forgive and forget so so fast. What can I say? I do love Manchester United,

Yes, I will be rooting for Germany tomorrow because, I remember someone making a comment about how the likes of Marca will totally claim Spanish football supremacy should Spain win. So, it’s Viva Schweinsteiger.

I fervently hope Fergie and co can get into this transfer business ASAP

1) Make the Tevez deal permanent and frankly, I don’t give two fucks how much that will cost.
    2) Sign Berbatov. He is experienced in the EPL, wants to play for United, sublime finisher, and has a wonderful first touch.
    3) SURPRISE me. Honestly do I scout for United? No. So Fergie, get us a player that will completely blow our minds, one we don’t see coming. I’ll leave a clue: A replacement for the Irreplaceable Paul Scholes.

17. Dan(u-ol)

28 June 2008 at 21:23

elo elo RD, like the new kick ass site RR+ahmed have produced? its been a LONG few weeks mate, we need some action/news.

18. Shreyas

28 June 2008 at 22:38

Got to say, me relieved that Monday is gonna be here soon and the United machine will start rolling again. My gut feeling Fergie has already made up his mind/signed one or 2 players, and we will get an announcement next week. And I dread that one of that player is Fabiano. There have been no rumours about him moving anywhere in the last couple of weeks, and that can mean only 3 things: either he does’t want to move, which I dont think is the case, two, Fergie has already bought him, which I fervently hope not or three, no one is interested in him.
    Also, saw the UCL finals on video again today, seems long time ago doesn’t it now! Got to say, enjoyed it a lot more this time, knowing United cannot lose :). Also, I had somehow missed the BELIEVE motif on 21st May. The one in the Barca match at OT was good, but this one was magnificent, I got goosebumps seeing that! To think of the effort it must have taken to coordinate so many fans before hand, and that too at an alien stadium. And that one moment showed the difference in class between United fans and Cheslki fans. Not sure why that was not covered well enough in the media or by any of the United blogs though.
    Anyways, looking forward to seeing Fergie and Gill service resuming at United from monday.

19. RedDevil

28 June 2008 at 22:51

Heey Dan! 😀 The new version kicks ass! It is much better. Hopefully we will get more answers than questions the next week.

20. Rd

28 June 2008 at 23:51

@Grognard: I know you’re worried about United not been really active in the transfer market(yet), but the first part of your post wasn’t really necessary since letting this players go in no way affects our first team.

Anyway the Euro’s end tomorrow and then its total lack of football(which induces media transfer madness) till July at best, at least i have Wimbldeon for at least one more week and i’ll be shocked if Sir Alex even before he made the statement that he needed a tall striker and a defender didn’t already have the players he wanted penned down. We’ll sign players thats for sure, but as for the players being a big surprise and mind- blowing, i really doubt that.

29 June 2008 at 00:11

DMC; What a total load of rubbish! 😡 Clearly Fergie has someone like Baerbatov in mind. There is nothing wrong with Huntelaar. He is class.

22. Mihir

29 June 2008 at 07:36

Does the United think tank feel that we don’t need a new purchase this time round?

Strikers who are available for the first team come season 08-09:
    Wayne Rooney
    Louis Saha
    Carlos Tevez
    Fraizer Campbell
    Danny Welbeck
    Manucho Gonsalves
    Davide Petrucci (?)
    Federico Macheda (?)

The last two are only there because they have have been making waves at the youth level.

Except Rooney and Tevez, discounting Saha because he still has to prove that can stay fit at least as long as a leaf takes to reach the ground, there is definitely no one else who is proven at the level that Man Utd plays!

Manucho has been playing in the Greek league and that too hardly 15 games. Welbeck and Campbell hold a lot of promise in my opinion, and with proper nurturing can definitely go on to become first team regulars but can we rely on them to fill the target-man void this season? I think not. If not long term, then we atleast we need a quality center forward ON LOAN for this season where campbell/welbeck can be given interspersed opportunities to stake their claim for that position.

23. Tomas

29 June 2008 at 12:38

It’s a little quiet in here these last couple of days, so I’ll try to start a debate on our opponents:

How do you guys rate the other top 3 teams in the EPL, i.e. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal?

Here’s my take on the matter:

Chelsea: Atm they look really strong, and we all know, they’ll bring in some quality players. At the same time, they’ll probably loose at least Carvalho, who I consider among their top 3 most important players. Drogba and Lampard are also in the fringe of leaving, and if they do, I think, they’ll have real problems replacing them for this coming season. Ballack and Makalele aren’t getting younger, and Mikel seems to have stalled in his development. I think, they’ll enter the coming season a bit weaker, but once they get the machine oiled, they’ll be big challengers.

Arsenal: I think, they’ll keep Adebayor, and that’s very important to them. Flamini and Hleb are gone, and that leaves a big gap in their control of games. Especially Flamini will be hard to replace, since he played at top level last season. They will still have problems with grit over he course of a season, and I think, they’ll end up in 3rd spot once again.

Liverpool: Well, they try to strengthen, but I very much doubt, the finances are there for the purpose. They’ll bring in Dossena, who’s not an Italian international, and Degen, a second choice full back from the Suiss national team – I doubt either of them will raise the standards very much. They’ll replace Alonso with Barry, which won’t make much of a difference either. One important notice is that Daniel Agger returns, which will surely add a dimension to their game from last season with his ability to bring the ball forward.

They can’t afford a decent striker, so they’ll either keep Crouch or replace him with similar quality, and that’s their main problem. They simply don’t have the cash to improve, and they’ll end up in 4th spot again.

On ourselves: Nani and Anderson will definitely be stronger, and I can’t wait to see them in action. Ronaldo will stay, and SAF will most likely bring in one or two players. We can’t get rid of Silvestre, which I actually think isn’t that bad, since he’s by far our second best left back. Neville will return, and it’ll be interesting to see, what form he brings. If he’s the GN we all know, it’ll be hard to leave him on the bench, because when at his best, he’s got a level on Brown.

Hargo looks as if he’s got his fitness better, and Tevez will be mean. Remember that we’ve got 4 very qualified players entering their 2nd year at OT – they can only improve.

The rest will be at their usual strength, allthough I have great expectations for Roonye, especially if we bring in a top nothc striker to aid him and Tevez.

To me, we’re the stronger of the 4 teams, and it’ll only be a matter of hunger for more glory. If the players show the same hunger as last season, there’s no stopping us. If they are merely 5 percent satisfied, we’ll struggle real hard to keep up with all 3 of them.

29 June 2008 at 16:08

@Mihir: Spoken like a true realist. Better watch out on this site, speaking the truth may get you in trouble. There are those who believe that Welbeck or Manucho are right up there with David Villa and Fernando Torres. It’s great to read somebody who thinks with some common sense and reason. Well said. 😆

25. dan(u-ol)

29 June 2008 at 16:10

COME YOU GERMANS, i bet that pleases you groggy 🙂 , err, RR/Ahmed, our new kick ass site has lost its smilies 😕 .

29 June 2008 at 16:24

Tomas, It’s just too early to rate any teams because the transfer market is just now getting under way. Alll four of the big teams as well as Tottenham are going to spend and sell so it is impossible to know how the team’s will end up until we see the somewhat complete rosters just before the season starts. Chelsea look certain to lose Lampard, Drogba, Caervalho and who knows about some others on that team like Malouda, Shevchenko, Belletti, Ben Haim, Pizarro and Sidwell. The team looks to be completely rebuilt. Arsenal need to know what the deal is with Adebayor. Who will replace him as well, who will replace Eduardo? Who replaces Lehmann? If it’s that useless Almunia, I predict problems for Arsenal. They need to actually spend some money A Podolski or Huntelaar could really help them as well as a Veloso or Ya Ya Toure. Liverpool, are being ridiculous and very unrealistic with Crouch and yet, they expect Villa to just hand over Barry. They have no money so they need to sell sell sell in order to afford some quality replacements. Whether they get Barry or are even fortunate enough to get David Villa, one things seems certain to me, they won’t have the cash to have a deep team. At the end of a long season depth is vital. It is what won both the EPL and Champions League for United. Tottenham looks to have bought a quality keeper and the acquisitions of Modric and Dos Silva are quality. But that team needs defenders more than anything else. They are in serious need of one more quality central defender and a RB that’s better than the Chimp. Modric and company can attack all they want, Spurs needs to improve on defense to have a chance of breaking into the top 4. And who will replace Berbatov if he leaves? Only time will reveal all these questions.

Finally as for United, everyone knows what we need and who we need to get. Let’s just hope Fergie succeeds and that we have the cash to do it with. 😀

29 June 2008 at 16:26

@dan(u-ol): Yes Dan I’m pleased. The check is in the mail. 😀

28. RedAddict

29 June 2008 at 16:38

Grognard, Spurs already have a fine rightback in Hutton. Once they get Bale fit, they’ll have two excellent players at fullback. I agree they need a centreback though. They can’t rely on the two sicknotes King and Woodgate.

29. RedDevil

29 June 2008 at 19:44

Come on Germany! 😈 I hate Spain! Not only because they have a club that doesnt know how to behave or doesnt have even a little bit of decenscy, but also cause they might say they are the best country in the football world. United(England) won the CL, Chelsea(England) finished runner up in the CL and the Prem is the most watched league in the world. England is the best country football wise. The Germans wont be so crazy and brag so much about it if they win(club wise)but I know Spain will if they win. GO GERMANY! CRUSH THOSE FECKIN SPANIARDS! 😈

29 June 2008 at 20:48

RedAddict; Truthfully I totally forgot about Hutton and I was thinking of Chimbonda. When (healthy and he has stayed healthy for the better part of two years) Woodgate is a solid defender but King is finished and Dawson is a joke. They need depth there too as injuries tdo happen and there is no quality to back up these players.

RedDevil; My sentiments exactly. It amazes me others don’t see the harm that could come to the Prem if Spain wins. Yes foreigners will still come to the Prem but La Liga will be the league of choice. Just like Serie A was in 1990. There are teams who can compete with the Spaniards financially but Spain is a more attractive option for many culturally, esthetically and in many case linguistically. We will have to settle for Plan B Brazilians, Argentines and Portuguese players as well as the odd superstars from Italy Holland and Germany who want to move away from their domestic leagues.

As for the game so far. Evenly played exept for a goal that shouldn’t have happened. There were two men on Torres and somehow he still got the position to score the goal. And it wasn’t Lehmann’s fault. He needed to come out once he saw Torres win the 1v1 battle. They also hit the post when the shorter Torres beat Mertesacker in the air. Germany should be far superior in the aerial battle and they have been losing that. They are moving the ball well but everything breaks down in the Spanish third. They need to pick up the pace and they need to consider bringing in a striker and replacing Friedrich on the right side by moving Lahm to the right and the less mobile Friedrich going out. URGENCY. The need to pick it up and show some real passion and desire.

31. dan(u-ol)

29 June 2008 at 21:38

i guess we wont be hearing from groggy for a while, i HATE spain.

32. RedDevil

29 June 2008 at 22:01

Fuck Spain! 👿 Sorry Grogs, it looks like hell on earth will begin. The Prem will have problems if something doesnt happen soon. Nothing went Germanys way tonight, unfortunately. 😥

33. Liam

29 June 2008 at 22:07

I´m in Spain atm so you can guess what it is like. I wanted Germany to win but Spain were good value for their win. I remember 2 or 3 years ago I really liked Spanish football (mainly because I loved watching Ronaldinho at Barca) and the Spaniards were probably my favourite national team that I had no personal ties to. However since the 2006 WC I have begun to like Germany and my liking for Spanish football has deteriorated greatly (maybe due to the fact I don´t have Sky Sports anymore) but I just find Spanish people to be very arrogant and the constant horn beeping that is going on now is really starting to piss me off but I suppose I was kind of like that after the CL final so I can´t really complain.

29 June 2008 at 22:20

@Grognard: I almost completely agree with your estimation of the big four + spurs — in your response to Tomas — which is why it amazes me when you spell doom to United for the next season. As I said, all teams will be doing some rebuilding (apart from us), and any newly built team would take time to gel as against United who will have one or two positions to fill at the most.

And I think the odds of Ronaldo moving is the same as him staying right now. So assuming status quo we will, as you pointed out, have to wait for a while to really be able to estimate our chances for the next season.

35. RedDevil

29 June 2008 at 22:38

A win for Germany would have been a win for the Premiership…
    And to rub salt into the wounds a scouse scored the winning goal!

29 June 2008 at 22:38

Euros are over! Now lets start signing some players:

Top of my list would be:

Van der Vaart

3. Carlos Tevez(permanent transfer), ❓

If Ronaldo leaves:

1. Sebastian Shweinsteiger/Lukas Podolski, 15 mill
    2. Andrei Arshavin, 15 mill
    3. David Villa, 31 mill
    4. Carlos Tevez(permanent transfer), ❓

Maybe a littletoo much to hope for, but this is what I feel is necassary for us to get better.

29 June 2008 at 22:57

Let me first start by saying that I don’t give damn if people consider some of my comments in this post to be sour grapes over the fact Germany just lost the final. So spare me the responses alluding to sour grapes because like I said, I don’t give a damn. First off, congratulations to the Spaniards. They were the better team and the better cheaters and actors on the day too. They were far more dangerous and really deserved two or three goals on the day. Germany, to their credit really put on some pressure in the second half but nothing ever broke for them in the box. They were absolutely horrible in the Spanish third of the pitch. Torres goal was reason number one why missing out on signing the player will be the single greatest loss Fergie ever feels as United’s manager. This boys pace, change of direction, first touch and finishing skills are superb and he truly was a deserving hero for Spain today. Germany did not have that similar pace and quality or that incredible first touch with the ball that made him far more dangerous than either Klose, Kuranyi or Gomez.

Spain played well but they didn’t exactly light it up either. The German’s played well and for the first 20 minutes completely dominated. The near miss header by Torres off the post is the moment the game changed and went into the favor of Spain. From that point Germany’s passing and confidence seem to falter and Spain were gifted two or three great chances of which Torres of course converted one. The Germans did turn it up a notch in the second half and were unlucky not to equalize through Ballack and above all the sure fire sitter of a chance in the 90th minute that was whistled down because of a non foul against Gomez. Which brings me to my sour grapes part of my tirade and rant.

From his first game to the final I have had major issues with this incompetent, turn a blind eye Italian asshole of a fucking cunt referee.
    Everyone knows my feelings about Italian football. Well it also pass over to their assclown referees too. This guy didn’t allow play to continue in the 90th minute which left Schweinsteiger with a chance I would have bet my house on that he would have scored with. Over the entire game every 50/50 call went against Germany. Every high ball foul by Germans was called but every high ball foul by the Spaniards like the last one that injured Mertesacker just outside the Spanish penalty area was ignored. Klose gets kicked in the nuts, no foul. Other players are fouled, no call, Spanish player lose the ball by trying to literally go through a German defender and the German is called for the foul. Late tackles by the Spaniards are missed. A blatant albeit minor head butt on Podolski by Silva is not red carded or at least yellow carded. Germans tackle and get the ball but they get called because the Spaniards go for diving lessons. There was no 50/50 fairness. Spain was only called on 60% to 70% of the obvious fouls they committed. The Italian ref never missed a German foul. Sorry but this really bothers me because he has done this same kind of garbage in the past. And he has always favored teams against Germany. Poor loser? You betcha! I hate to lose but I hate it when a ref doesn’t get calls right or when he breaks up a team’s building momentum in the second half by blowing the whistle on 50/50 plays and non fouls.

Now the other reason for Germany’s failure. They were slower, their first touch was pathetic and their shocking inability to convert or defend high balls was the difference. Up front Spain have Torres who is better than Klose in pace, dribbling skill, first touch and in this game in the air. Klose was invisible albeit, getting kicked squarely in the balls early may take the steam out of you in a game. Mertesacker was horrible in high balls where he should dominate. German crosses which are generally amongst the best in football but in this tournament were terrible unless it was Podolski delivering a low hard one and Shweinsteiger’s two gems against Portugal. Germany like to cross like Beckham. They like to position it and bend it. The ball that was used caused problems for all teams trying to play this game. It just sucked for crosses and bend it like Beckham style free kicks. Spain played the ball on the ground all game and tournament and their short passes did the job.

The biggest problem in the game and in the entire tournament for Germany was their inability to consistently move well without the ball and to deliver well on 1/2 passing situations. Obviously not a problem for the Spaniards. Credit to them for their victory but not full credit. The referee helped them almost as badly as the Brazilian referee who blatantly wore Azurri Blue in the 1982 World Cup final. I can handle Germany deservingly losing a final like they did in 76, 86, 2002. What I cannot handle is the referee blowing calls or just plain ignoring calls in finals like 1966 (yes, Hurst goal did not cross the line), 82, 88 semi-final (phantom penalty), and 92 (phantom penalty), Lets just say that if Germany lose, I’d like to say that they deserved to lose. Today they were not the better team, but based on the way the game was called, I don’t think they were ever really allowed to get into their stride and yet despite that, they had the game tied in the 90th minute had the referee not made an absolutely grievous call against Gomez in the Spanish box that robbed Schweiny of a sure sitter. Sour grapes perhaps, but Germany will not remember this game as a game where they were thoroughly outclassed. No, they will remember this game like the 1982 final where all their efforts and endeavors were constantly thwarted by Spain’s 12th man, the fucking Italian referee. So forgive me if I’m just a bit bitter and angry. This loss really hurts. Even though Germany didn’t really play well enough to win it, they didn’t play poor enough to lose it either. Spain should thank an Italian cunt for making them champions of Europe.

And to my favorite player Michael Ballack, A gutsy effort having to deal with a leg strain and then a cut on the head from a heading incident (that should have been called a foul because Senna was holding on to him). Ballack gave as much as he could but the bottom line to the captain of Germany and the talisman of teams like Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and now Chelsea, mate YOU ARE A BIG LOSER. I love the guy but he is a major loser as he has never shown up for a final and played up to his capabilities or at least been able to elevate his teammates to higher levels. Some guys just don’t have it when it counts.

29 June 2008 at 22:59

Liam; Spaniards are just like Italians when they win and start celebrating in the streets. They are annoying and pathetically low class Wankers. 😀

40. Rd

29 June 2008 at 23:05

Let the transfer madness begin in full swing. The Sun and goal are probably rubbing their hands together with glee, already waiting for the first untrue nonsense they’ll publish tomorrow.

29 June 2008 at 23:10

RR; My concern and paranoia over United is that I am concerned that over the last month all this Ronaldo business seems to be sidetracking their efforts plus, I am really unsure of their financial situation. If they had come out and said United has so much to spend (which I know they would never do), I’d feel more secure. I’m also concerned with the inclination and motivation for many players to choose Spain over England. Today’s result will not help with this. I am certainly sure that Chelsea will be able to retool because they have hired a respected manager and their owner has deep pockets. Spurs have already made a number odf smart buys, Arsenal have the money do do the same. Liverpool is the only team I think that are in worse position than us because I honestly think they need to sell before they can buy.

If we indeed are fortunate enough to keep Ronaldo and he pledges his future tot he team, then we only really need a striker to ensure our continued dominance. A striker with 18 yerd box finesse, poaching ability and aerial dominance will in fact make us better than we were.
    However, if we lose Ronaldo then all bets are off. Strong rumors today about Schweinsteiger coming to United. NO NO NO!. I love Schweiny but he lacks the focus and the pace to play for United unless the team played the style they played in the Beckham era. That’s not going to happen. Huntelaar is the only player with questionable pace that I think can work well for us because what he is needed for frankly doesn’t require pace as much as first touch, good in the air, ability to take half chances, lethal with both feet and a sixth sense as a goal poacher. For those of you who cannot see this I have a number of angry and very rude thoughts that I won’t share on this blog. 😀

42. Brian Lomax

30 June 2008 at 00:35

Grog, I’d just like to make a small comment on something you said…”I’m also concerned with the inclination and motivation for many players to choose Spain over England. Today’s result will not help with this.”

I disagree, simply because Spain’s two best and most influential players play in England. I don’t think today’s result will have anything to do with what players do when it comes to transfers.

43. Brian Lomax

30 June 2008 at 00:38

And those 2 players would be Fabregas and Torres. Players see 4 English teams in the Champions League, players see the all English final, players know where the best football is played. It all comes down to money really.

30 June 2008 at 01:33

All valid point Brian but don’t forget that player also like to jump on the bandwagon. The celebrations in Spain and the fact that Spain did play attacking and pure football will make many think that Spain is the country to play in. On the other hand teams like Chelsea and Liverpool cannot possibly attract players to the Prem with their boring attempt at playing the game. Manchester United also have got a lot to make up for their negative style against Barcelona and even in the second half of the final. It’s all about the flavor of the week and Spain is it just in time for transfer season madness. Hopefully United don’t lose out on too many of their first choice targets to Spanish clubs.

30 June 2008 at 01:35

What’s going on everyone? The European Championship has been over for over four hours now and only Brian and I have posted anything. Jeez, where’s the passion and interest for football outside of OT? 😀

46. Red Rich

30 June 2008 at 02:32

@Grognard: Wankers?? They have just won their first tournament in 44 years and you dismiss it such a manner!! Could it be the likes of you that EUFA’s racism ads are aimed at??

47. Red Rich

30 June 2008 at 02:41

How can this kind of post be allowed? We compare Spaniards to Italians to Wankers. I would wonder what grogs nationality is and lets compare that with our darkest thoughts. Get real my friend!!!

30 June 2008 at 02:46

@Red Rich: There was a smiley at the end suggesting that this was said in jest. Don’t start stirring a PC debate now of racism.

49. Red Rich

30 June 2008 at 02:59

@Red Ranter: A “Smiley” does not absolve the gist of the message. The tone of the post was clearly inflammatory – comparing one ethnicity to another with a derogatory conclusion. If you feel that these things can be said with a nudge and a wink, then make the rules of this blog plain for all to see. This is my final comment on this issue as I am more interested in the content than the tone, but I for one am insulted that you would allow anything close to this kind of commentary.

30 June 2008 at 02:59

Spain winning the Euros won’t make much of a difference. Players didn’t queue up to play in Greece when they won the Euros. The factors that make Spain appeal to a lot of footballers remain unchanged: the culture, the climate, the technical style of play, the glamour of clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid etc.

As an earlier poster mentioned, if players made their decisions based on footballing success theyd want to play for one of the Big 4 in the UK because that would be their best hope of winning the Champions League.

The main pull England has had for players recently has been money. Certain players would be willing to put up with English weather in return for a pay premium, even if in their opinion living standards are better on the continent.