Former Netherland international Rafael van der Vaart has urged Donny van De Beek to leave Manchester United this summer.
The Red Devils paid £40 million to Ajax to bring van De Beek to the Threatre of Dreams last summer.
Since his arrival, the Dutch midfielder has found it hard to break into the starting XI.
He featured 36 times this past season but 21 of his appearances came as a substitute.
Speaking to ESPN, van der Vaart insisted that the 24-year old is too good to spend most of his time on the bench.
He said: “If nobody leaves United during the summer, he is going to need to get lucky to break into their starting eleven.
“He is much too good to remain sitting on the bench for two seasons. He needs to get regular playing time soon.
“He is still young, but the time is flying past.
“Joining a club like Borussia Dortmund would have been better for him.
“Donny was a perfect fit for Ajax’s system, but he does not fit in at United.
“When I went to play in the Premier League I soon found out that the pace of the game was much faster – and you can’t create opportunities.
“Everyone expects that you will simply keep on getting better, and that was the hardest part for me.
“But on the other hand, there was lots of space for me to exploit between the lines. For a number ten like me, that was terrific.
Red Rants View
Scott McTominay and Fred are the trustworthy midfield pair for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Paul Pogba has the quality to change the momentum of games and Bruno Fernandes is irreplaceable in the number 10 position.
This leaves van De Beek with limited opportunities to play for United.
There’s no doubt about the quality of the former Ajax midfielder. He is a savvy operator who likes to make runs to open up defences.
However, it is fair to say that he has been unable to impress the manager with his cameos.
The upcoming European Championships will be crucial for the midfielder.
If he can deliver standout performances for Netherlands, Solskjaer may be forced to give him more playing time next season.
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion