Rashford netted four goals in his first two games for United and England boss Roy Hodgson said he would not rule out the opportunity to bring the 18-year-old to France in the summer. Butt, however, indicated that would not be the right call.
“I think that’s well too soon for Marcus,” he said.
“It could backfire on everybody and might not be the right thing for him.”
Rashford, Butt said, had still a lot to learn and a precocious call-up could hinder his development.
“I’m not telling an England manager what to do; it’s his job to pick whoever he feels,” continued the former England midfielder.
“But for me he’s a young boy who’s still learning the game and has got a long way to go yet.
“I think talk of England is well too soon for Marcus.
“He has phenomenal potential for England and Manchester United and I think [picking him] too soon might do him more harm than good.”
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash