United were knocked out of the Europa League by Liverpool on Thursday night, yet another blow in what has become a dismal season for Louis Van Gaal’s side and Keane said United’s fall from grace was astonishing.
“I’m really saddened by what I’ve seen happen to United over the last year or two,” he said after the game.
“It’s like a bunch of strangers have been thrown together.”
The former United captain added that a number of players looked unable to perform under pressure, which did not reflect well on them or the manager.
“When I played for Manchester United and put that jersey on I felt ten feet tall, but you see these players, some of them look like they’re shrinking with it on,” he said.
“If you’re playing for Man United you have to deal with that pressure and expectation and this group of players are struggling.
“Where are the leaders of this group? Even tonight when they were chasing the game, Liverpool could have scored five or six easily.
“You have to use your head and use your brain and thats where the characters come into it and we’re just not seeing it.”
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash