That’s one of hundreds of useful snippets and stories to be found in a recently acquired book called ‘The Man Utd Miscellany’ by Andy Mitten.
If you’ve never read it or, like me, never knew it existed until now, then I assure you it’s well worth the three quid you can pick it up for on eBay.
With Andros Townsend recently being fined and given a suspended ban, it’s interesting to see that United have always been treated harshly in comparison to other teams even since the early 1900’s!
In 1911, George Anderson, who made 86 appearances for United, was jailed for eight months following serious accusations of fraud in relation to betting on football matches.
And did you know…The 1952 Charity Shield between title winners United and FA Cup winners Newcastle United was shown live on the BBC, yet the Beeb only covered 50 minutes of the game? Luckily for the cameras, they caught five of the game’s six goals as the Geordies were vanquished 4-2.
Brush up on your United knowledge, you never know when you might need to know these things.
Here’s a quick teaser to get you thinking for the night: Thirteen players have played for Manchester United AND Leeds United. Can you name them?
- Manchester United close to reaching an agreement for star winger Jadon Sancho
- Manchester United want Paul Pogba to stay at Old Trafford
- Axel Tuanzebe set to leave Manchester United on loan
- A look at Scott McTominay’s Euro 2020 journey as Scotland bow out
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s dominant return vs the Czech Republic
- Wayne Rooney eager for the “mouthwatering” clash against Manchester United
- Manchester United confirm four pre-season friendly games including Wayne Rooney reunion
- Manchester United captain feels “confident” after recovering from injury for England’s Group D decider
- Jesse Lingard opens up on “emotional” England snub
- Not playing Jadon Sancho is a bizarre decision from Gareth Southgate