United’s Tongue Twisting Duo and What they Mean

It is true. United have signed Serbian duo Zoran Tosic and Adem Ljajic from Partizan Belgrade. Try saying Tosic-Ljajic in quick succession. If you manage to say it right ten times then gift yourself a pint (and think of me while you down said pint) from your local.

Oh — and I am deeply sorry to have forgotten this — a very, very happy, albeit belated, new year to all our readers. I have been too caught up in New Year festivities to find time to post — although I suppose I shouldn’t be wasting space with another long winded excuse for not posting.

Right, so United seem to be among the first movers during the January transfer window. In the current weak economic climate the Glazers have shown that they are willing to back the manager on signings, if they need to be made, even when we have won consecutive premiership titles and are defending European and World club champions. This is a good sign and, while worries persist over the effect of global slowdown on English football, the Glazers have shown that they are willing to spend whenever asked. There is precious little that can be weaned from the goings on in the Manchester United boardroom these days, so we have to take help of signs like these to form our opinions. Therefore my take is this: I am not aware of how strong the Glazers are financially and how much the downturn has affected them, but I don’t think that has affected the way they’ve backed the club in terms of transfers.

We must, at this point, acknowledge that David Gill and co continue to run the club magnificently well and are, in no small part, among the reasons why the Glazers have left the footballing stuff to the footballing people. [Yes, yes, I do say this with my non-typing body parts touching big portions of wood.]

Tosic, is a left winger and 21. Immediately one would think Ryan Giggs. As the man looks to wind down his playing career, the think tank needs to look to the future and this is where Tosic would figure. However, his addition would also interest some other players in the squad — not the least, Nani.

The Portuguese winger has had an underwhelming season by most counts, although his biggest advocates would point to the way he’s been used by Fergie. However, extended game time or not, there has been a clear sign of the Portuguese winger regressing this season. Most of all, his lack of decision making is a big downer, considering his undeniable talent. Tosic’s addition presents the first genuine young threat to his position on the left wing and it will be interesting to see how he handles this new pressure to perform.

He has time, though. It is unlikely that Tosic would be thrown in right away, as would be expected from January signings that are not injury enforced. And if this Serbian lad ends up showing real value for money, the Portuguese lad will have his job cut out for him.

Park, on the other hand, would have to continue doing what he’s already been doing: work hard, impress in training, fill in when needed, and such like. It’s a harsh position to be in, despite his efforts over the years, but while his work rate and energy is unrivalled, his lack of improvement on his attacking attributes will always force people to view him none more than a very good squad player.

Adem Ljajic — about whom I know very little apart from his being hailed as the most promising among the current Serbian crop of youngsters — is an attacking midfielder [presumably of the Kaka mould]. He would naturally attract further attention to the Serbian Premier Division as he’ll join the club next season. It is believed that staying at Partizan for the rest of this season would be to his benefit, considering our packed midfield. Which leads us to another interesting discussion.

If he is, in fact, the next Kaka — which I doubt for no logical reason other than my cynicism over media hyperbole — the manager will be left with a few big decisions to make. But let’s not go there. Let’s just suppose, for sake of realism, that he is more than decent for his age (17). Then how will our midfield look in, say, two years’ time? Will Anderson grow into a very good box-to-box player? Will Possebon become the next Pirlo? Would Hargreaves make a strong return on the pitch? Where will that leave the likes of Carrick? How will emergence of such talent in midfield force whoever’s at the helm to make tactical adjustments so that the team won’t skip a beat? I think it’s too early to be talking about all this, because I think for Ljajic’s age, he will be eased onto the big stage like we’ve nursed other youngsters in the past. For now it’s just idle discussion and dreaming, but nonetheless, there is something to talk about no?

Anyway, that’s your lot for now. Happy debating. Before I sign off though, here’s something to spend money on this festive season. “John Terry Banana Skins

Cheerio.

1. antsBoy

2 January 2009 at 18:28

Serbiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! πŸ˜›

2. antsBoy

2 January 2009 at 18:31

Alright, now that I’ve got that outta the way, I think this is great news. It shows we’re focussed on further improving the team while we’re still on top..and that’s brilliant! I hate the word complacency, and I bet Fergie does as well! RR, according to the Partizan site it seems Ljajic won’t be joining us till Jan 2010 (cos he has to turn 18, and will do so only in Sept 09). He seems to be the more prodigiously talented of the two, but at a time when we have word-wars over the inclusion of Park, I’d say Tosic is very welcome too!

Oh , and has anyone seen the pic of the new kids with Fergie and Vidic? It’s so funny! They look like Vidic’s kids! (and Fergie’s grandkids…)

3. Nelson Otieno

2 January 2009 at 18:37

Whether tosic makes it in the premiership or not(i for one think he will be decent), his transfer will for sure competition for places in the wings(especially the left) and will result in better play.as you have mentioned RR, the likes of Nani better start making a turn around less they drop further down the pecking order

4. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 18:43

My question is who the feck is leaving us to be the fall guy for us to provide funds for these transfers. I am a big sceptic sorry, and I believe that someone or two someones are already earmarked for the Old Trafford door. We always seem to have to sell to buy, and I believe that it is already decided who is packing their bags. If the player is right who spoke to a friend of mine, it will be Little man Nani to Spain, and whatever Ronnie says to the contrary, him too probably in the summer. Bollocks me is you like, but if the Man Utd player is wrong on his info, sure as hell someone else is on their way out πŸ™„ .

5. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 18:47

@Nelson Otieno: Tosic better be PL material, because United have been watching him for a year. If he fails to cut it, you would have to kick the arse of, and denounce the judgement those who have spent a year watching the guy. Lets hope he doesn’t fail and become known as tosser Tosic. From all accounts though he is supposed to be a very good player, with a fantastic free kick ability.

6. dan(u-ol)

2 January 2009 at 18:49

7. Nelson Otieno

2 January 2009 at 18:55

@craig. I have not understood your comment(am a bit poor in english)

8. Rd

2 January 2009 at 18:59

@Craig Mc: Ok, United don’t buy, and Fergie is ruining the team by not brining in fresh blood, United buy and now its “we always have to buy to sell”(which is not true btw, and i mean with the always part) and who’s financing and bla bla bla, we fans can never be content can we? πŸ™„

9. JB

2 January 2009 at 18:59

@Craig Mc: That’s pretty harsh. You can watch a player all you want be you will never be sure if they will adapt to the PL until you actually take the plunge and bring them across. Up to that point all the scouts can do is take an educated guess.

10. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:21

@JB: Mmmmm – not sure I agree with that Jb Bro, but we’ll see πŸ™‚ .

2 January 2009 at 19:22

It certainly appears that United is going the way of Arsenal and progressing towards a youth movement. Fine we do that every year but now the team is paying solid money for the Possebons, Da Silva twins, Tosic’s and Ljacic’s of the football world. A t one time we were stuck looking and signing only local talent. Now the scouts are combing the planet and we are signing lads at a very young age, not after they have moved to a bigger club, played a few years, made their name and now come to us at 24 or 25. That used to be our mantra, but not anymore.

I’m not sure I like it nor do I say I hate it. Football is a young man’s game and if you can find truly world class potential at a very young age, I think it’s terrific to go after it. But are we paying a high premium for speculation? Is Tosic and Ljacic were 16 million or could we have bought an Arshavin or David Silva with that money and a little bit more. Proven players who could make a statement immediately. Truthfully I am torn.

Many of you who know me through my posts may predict that I would go with the proven players but even I playing Football Manager 09 have decided to spend transfer kitty on Tosic and Marko Marin. Patience is the key and faith. Faith that your scouts called it right and faith that the manager also has a strong eye for young talent. Even veteran stars are no guarantee when signed. Just ask Veron, Forlan and Barthez.

I like these signings and it shows a commitment to build the team properly well past Fergies tenure. Hopefully both players end up becoming world stars with us and hopefully Real Madrid will shrivel up and during those years too. So shoot me for being positive. πŸ˜‰

2 January 2009 at 19:24

@Craig Mc: Are you going to be the one who volunteers to drive Nani to the airport? πŸ˜†

13. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 19:24

Trust Fergie to unveil the good news at new years when every fan is anxious to see what we do in the transfer window. πŸ˜€ Always has a way of making us fans giddy with joy, Fergie.

With regards to the Tosic, I don’t expect anyone to be leaving in their place, rather more competition and the eventual retirement of the veterans. As it stands, we currently have three functional wingers, which of course is not enough condidering the amount and frequency of games which we have in a season. Ronaldo has been suffering from this overload, I mean, the lad is burnt out. He has played almost every game possible since his return from injury and the consequencies began to show in his recent performances.

Nani, despite popular conception, is getting a fair share of games. The problem is, so far this season(until our last two games), Fergie has utilized one defensive winger to cover either of the marauding fullbacks and another attacking one (this might be due to the emergence of Rafael and the fact that our defense began to look shaky and Fergie was trying not to let them get accustomed to shipping in goals). In this setup, Park is the defensive winger and Ronnie/Nani are the attacking ones. And when it comes down to Ronnie and Nani, we all know who will be picked.

Honestly, this way of defending from the wings would soon be moot as the defence is looking more assured and our fullbacks are more than capable of handling themselves(Rafael included). We began to see this recently in our last two games where Park was quite offensive in his play. We should see more adventorous formations this half of the season (apart from maybe in Europe) and then we will be seeing a lot more of Nani . What this acquisition provides is adequate cover and the strength in depth we desperately needed on the wings.

14. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:29

@Rd: So Rd your trying to deny right, that we haven’t usually got rid of players who are deemed surplus to requirements when we bring others in. Well, I’d like to bring the blog sleuth Jb into this, because he is the stats man supreme. I believe we have many times sold players (be they lesser/reserveone), so that we get some finance towards our buys. Why do you think we let Silvestre and Saha go, when Berba came in?.

Now when did you hear me complain that Fergie was not bringing players in thereby ruining the team? – answer, NEVER. My main complaint has been that Fergie is not utilising the players he already has in the right way πŸ™„ . Also I didn’t complain about not being satisfied with buys, but I do believe players will leave, so don’t accuse mate, where accusations are not warrented. Anyway, lets wait and see if I am right or wrong about players going out πŸ˜† .

15. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:36

@Grognard: Awww bless the lad Grog, I would do gladly πŸ˜† . He deserves better, than being with a club where he came with good form and had a good season, only to be exiled and then expected to perform with honours when he happens to get perhaps a 20 minute spell. From being good performer to regressing – mmmmmmm, he would be better where he can get more regular football. He hasn’t got blue eyes you see, to be a Fergie boy. He was talking to MUTV recently, and he said he adores Man Utd, loves the club and fans. Which is a pity, that club and fans do not have the same LOVE for him.

16. WhiteY

2 January 2009 at 19:37

@Grognard: Exactly Grog….Exactly

17. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 19:40

@Craig Mc: Again with the conspiracy theories mate, cynic much? πŸ˜› Wonder what Ronnie has to do to convince you he’s staying or maybe you secretly support a spanish team and want to see ur fave portugueezers ply their trade there, eh?

@Craig Mc: Now ur almost writing off this Tosic fella before he even touches a ball for United just cause he’s a threat to lil’ man Nani’s spot. ‘Tosser Tosic’? c’mon, give the lad a break.

18. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:40

@Gabriel: “And then we might be seeing a lot more of Nani” πŸ˜† . I don’t see any pigs flying over old trafford Gabriel mi man πŸ™ .

19. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:45

@Gabriel: Ooooh babeeeeeeeeeeeee πŸ˜† , I didn’t say he was a tosser mate, I said I hoped he wouldn’t be. Boy there are some peeps on here who love to twist peoples words. As for taking Nani’s place, why should that worry me, Fergie has been playing any numptee other than Nani, so Tosic is no threat to the Little man, who wouldn’t be playing anyway. As for secretly supporting a spanish club, O yeah, I just bleed Real Madrid, Madrid till I die eh Gabriel – NOT πŸ‘Ώ .

20. RedDevilEddy

2 January 2009 at 19:46

Who here hasnt been wishing that we got a new left winger? And now we finally have one. He arrives, and suddenly people think we have to sell another winger. Please tell me why. Dont a team of Manchester Uniteds statue need cover in every position? We have 4 wingers, finally. We have had 4 wingers in every season! Sometimes even 6. We have two right winger in Ronaldo and Park. And now two left wingers in Nani and Tosic. Last season we had Giggs, Nani, Ronaldo and Park, the season before Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and, ehh, Richardson. This is squad depth. Squad depth isnt that if our first choice left winger(Nani) gets injured, we put our best right winger on the left flank and put Park on the right. That is not squad depth for me. Squad depth is that you take out on player and replace him with an player that playes in the exact same position. Rafael- Neville. Rio- Evans. Vidic- Brown. Evra- Oshea. Ronaldo- Park. Carrick- Hargreaves/Fletcher. Scholes- Anderson. Nani- Tosic. Rooney- Giggs. πŸ™„ Berbatov- Tevez. That is how it goes. I am pleased with this transfer and I like all you guys hope it proves for the best. πŸ˜€

21. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:47

@Gabriel: Give the lad a break – which leg Gabriel πŸ‘Ώ πŸ˜€ .

22. john freakin' o'shea

2 January 2009 at 19:48

I think tosic was bought to shapen up nani, maybe nani thinks the leftwing is already his so here comes a healthy competition. πŸ™„

23. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:50

@RedDevilEddy: Dont a team of United’s STATUE???. Well I’ll give you this Eddy mi man, some of our lot have been playing like a load of statues this season πŸ˜† .

24. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 19:52

@john freakin’ o’shea: Now why on earth, would a player think the left wing was his, who is hardly ever played these days. I think not John Bro.

25. antsBoy

2 January 2009 at 19:53

@Craig Mc: Quick question for you mate πŸ™‚ – how would you feel if Tosic did brilliantly (thus helping ManUtd win trophies) but also drives Nani out of the team? Would you be very happy? Or would you bleed for Nani and support his next Club? You don’t seem like the kind of guy who supports a player over a club..but I’m just asking..

Oh, and about players going out..I think there will be some going out on loan definitely, but Fergie knows he needs the WHOLE squad to be fighting on all fronts…he’s not gonna sell anyone from our 23 man squad, unless..unless..it comes down to a clash of personalities cos “somebody” rubs him the wrong way.

26. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 20:00

@Grognard: Out of Marin and Tosic Grog, I think I would have preferred Marin. For two reasons really, he has proved himself outstanding in the very hard German League, and secondly, I have seen him a few times and he looked bloody great each time. He looks an artist mate. But then I haven’t seen Tosic, but he hasn’t been playing and proving himself in as tough a league as German football.
    Or am I wrong Grog, you have probably seen Marin much more than me. But I loved him to be honest.

27. Nick

2 January 2009 at 20:00

I think the signing of Tosic is superb one, from what i have seen of him (albeit on youtube, i know) he looks a promising young talent. At 21 he is still very young, but he is a recognised international player with quite a few caps to his name, and a couple of goals too i believe.

United’s left flank will always feel a little empty now that Giggs can no longer fly up and down it, but in Nani (young and typically inconsistent) and Tosic United have two players with the potential to own that left touchline for years to come.

I know the jury is well and truly out on Nani and i know there are a lot of people who post on this board who find him incredibly frustrating (i do too), but i really hope he’s given time to mature at United. Look at other wingers in the Premier League, most of them have taken a few years too come into their own (Ashley Young not included). Even Ronaldo was piss poor with flashes of brilliance up until after World Cup 2006, from that point on he matured and began his massive up-curve towards European Player of the Year.

Try to give Nani time, i honestly believe he has the skill and ability to get there, he’s just taking longer than we all would have hoped after he put in some sporadic but brilliant performances last season.

As for the young lad Ljalic, I have heard many many great things and he’s got a promising future. You don’t attract attention from the United’s and Real Madrid’s of this world unless you’ve got bundles of potential at the age of 17.

Does anybody know if the rumours about Standard Liege wonderkid Alex Witsel (sp?) being a high transfer target are true?

28. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 20:00

@Craig Mc: @Craig Mc: @Craig Mc: lol πŸ˜† it’s all about squad depth and utilising certain players when it is needed. I will admit that Nani hasn’t gotten a decent amount of games this season but we are just half way thru and having had most of our tough fixtures out of the way, i believe we will see a whole lot more of him. We now have a series of games where we can be uninhibited in our attack and lil’ man Nani is gonna play a BIG part, have faith bro. Btw, read RedDevilEddy’s post No.20, it pretty much says what I wanted to say about the squad depth issue.

29. JB

2 January 2009 at 20:01

@Craig Mc: We do sell plenty of fringe players but it is difficult to really pin that down to raising funds for specific purchases. A good example of it would be Liverpool needing to sell Xabi Alonso to raise the funds to get Barry in. I don’t think any of our transfers in recent times has been dependant on another player being sold. The only one that springs to mind was our inability to go after Berbatov in 2006 until RVN was cleared off the books.

I would call the sales of fringe players like Saha and Silvestre good housekeeping. Clubs need to periodically trim dead wood out of their squads. Bar you are Chelsea or Man City it is not really practical to keep high wage earners on board if you don’t anticipate them getting much game time.

30. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 20:05

@antsBoy: Ants boy, I think you know I follow United home and away, rain, hail or shine, so the answer is I have always been United lover and always will be mate. Like I said in my recent post, I don’t care if Tosic takes Nani’s place, because to me others have already taken it, and I was still on the terraces supporting my team. If Nani does leave for Spain, I would try and see his progress for whoever he plays for, because I took to the lad, and I see perhaps in him what others don’t. But that is just me, and its down to fandom favourite players Bro. So hope that explains things for you Antsboy. πŸ˜€ .

31. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 20:09

@JB: Thanks Jb for that πŸ™‚ . We will have to wait and see if some players are moved out, but I just get a feeling they will be Bro.

32. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 20:14

@Gabriel: Tell me how you would feel mate as a player who has missed most games with half the season gone?. Even Darren Fletcher was thinking about his future at start of this season, and mentioned it publically. Fergie then started to give him more playing time, so players do get down about not playing mate, and the latins are more emotional and temperamental than most πŸ˜† . Tev was left out for 3 games, and he was rebelling and considering his future, I mean come on. It is hard to keep a big squad of players, unless you have the Park and O’Shea type who will stay no matter what.

33. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 20:14

@Nick: Mate, I seriously don’t know why Nani is on the end of some harsh criticism!! He really hasn’t played all that much this season(mainly due to Fergie’s defensive mantra) but I know he’ll come good and from all the pictures and comments we’ve seen and heard, he looks and sounds happy. Hence, the gaffer must have assured him of his present and future role in the team and he seems happy with it.

About the Alex Witsel kid, it all seems like rumours to me, just like the Fabian Delph story. Both are 19 and play in similar positions and if it were up to me, I would prefer an English lad. I’m still an advocate of having a strong national core in any football club.

34. Nick

2 January 2009 at 20:19

I would love United to bring through more English players, I am absolutely gutted that Evans is N. Irish. But saying that, players like Campbell and Wellbeck both have futures at the club.

I am really looking forward to these Cup matches coming up, it’ll give Sir Alex the opportunity to give people like Nani and (hopefully) Fabio a run out.

2 January 2009 at 20:25

@Gabriel: Easy on the Craigster. He is about to suffer a mortal wound and he knows it. Then again Craig, who knows, this just might be the tonic needed to wake Nani out of his slumber. It’s one thing to have to compete against someone unworthy and not as skillful as you, but when true competition shows up, perhaps the lights go on and the motivation is multiplied along with the desire.

2 January 2009 at 20:28

@antsBoy: He would be conflicted like me. My team is Man United but my favorite players are Ballack (God help me) and Riquelme. It’s not easy with that balancing act but team always comes before player.

37. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 20:31

@Craig Mc: Mate, some players would always have to sit on the bench, it’s just fact. You say Latinos are more emotional, tell me, are there not Latin players in Real Madrid, Barca, Porto and Lisbon who regularly warm the bench? Just because they come to England doesn’t mean we should treat them differently. The gaffer chooses the line-up based on who he thinks would be more effective in each match. If Nani doesn’t get picked, then he has to play or fight his way into the team, simple. It’s not like he’s an established star like Ronnie who has proven his credentials. Infact, if Nani left for most other clubs of our stature, he would still be regularly warming the bench.

We have a Big squad of talented players and if you want to play, you have to prove that you want it and step ur game up. You mention Fletch… when he was given his chance, he stepped up, raised his game and he hasn’t looked back since. Same goes for Park. If Nani had done the same, i’m sure he would have been picked to perform in more of our crucial games this past half of the season.

Btw, to unfairly point out loyal squad players who have saved our skins countless times over the seasons is a bit unfair. You say it is hard to keep a Big squad of players, yet you attempt to undermine the players who are willing to make up the squad. At least that’s what it seems to me… πŸ™‚

2 January 2009 at 20:36

@Craig Mc: No you aren’t wrong mate. Tosic is a mystery where as Marin is proving to be more and more the real deal despite playing for a bad club. Marin has even cracked the German national team which as we all know is no small feat. Sure I would prefer him but you never, Tosic could very well be the real deal.

39. the three Rs

2 January 2009 at 20:48

Craig, I too took an early liking to Nani and consider him to have the skills to scare defenders to death. Aspects of his football brain seem to be immature but that is as likely to be down to his education (or lack of it) as it is to his ability to learn. On this site, decision making is a generally agreed area of concern, but his lack of game time does not allow him to learn. He has skills that are natural and many would die for and I really worry that a valuable asset is being wasted.
    He is accused by some of being cocky but I think it speaks volumes for him that he retains that infectious exuberance of his. My bounce would have disappeared by now were I him.
    I can only hope that the arrival of Tosic somehow inspires him, as watching Park taking his position and scurrying around certainly hasn’t.

40. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 20:50

@Grognard: Mate, I loved Marin too. Played like Walcott with all that pace and the mazy runs. I actually thought he was more versatile than Walcott as he could also play centrally as a playmaker and also had a mean shot on him. Anyways, like you said, Tosic could very well be the real deal. He has also been hailed in some quarters, played in the U-21 championships last year (two years ago now πŸ˜› ) and has a few caps for his national senior side.
    I’m also very excited about the Ljajic kid, I thought he was of a slight build when I heard his nickname was ‘Little Kaka’. However, having seen some of his pictures, he is quite tall and well built and if the rumours about his dribbling and playmaking abilities are true, he could really be something for us. Also, it appears that he can also play on the right of midfield. πŸ˜€

2 January 2009 at 21:15

Grognard I know exactly how you feel.

Part of me looks back to the days of Beckham Scholes Keane and Giggs. Three of those were homegrown and developed into world class players.

Will Tosic, Anderson, Nani and Ljajic form a simiarly world class midfield five or so years from now? Or will they just end up as good players but not quite the standard you’d expect in a team of our stature?

I can easily foresee a return to the wilderness years where we get eclipsed both domestically and in Europe because our team is just not good enough. When we sell Ronaldo we will struggle to get anyone nearly as good because even breaking the bank it is not easy getting hold of world class players and whoever we try to buy we’ll get ripped off so be left with little change and an inferior replacement for Ronaldo. Unless by that time Tosic, Anderson, Nani and co have metamorphised into world class players, our midfield will become a real liability and we’ll create even less chances for our strikers to miss.

I feel at this point in time we should have spent the 20 million on a player who could improve our team in the short term. How hard could that be? I mean there must be hundreds of players out there better than Fletcher and Park who could walk into those positions? Arshavin and Diego immediately come to mind but Im sure there are many others.

But it is best to be optimistic and even if only half of our youngsters developed into world class players that would still mean we have around five future stars who will light up Old Trafford for years to come just like the original Fergie fledglings. If that happened it would not matter if we cut our losses on the other half

42. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 21:26

@the three Rs: O mate, you have got exactly the same thinking as me on Little Man Nani πŸ™‚ . Mates of mine have watched United end of season review with me of last season, and they said they thought Nani was a great talent. One particularly thought we had a diamond of a player, and he is in no way a United supporter. So it is a shame, because watching that review he was brilliant with his assists, his goals though not too many, were out of this world, and why the coaching team at Old Trafford have not been able to harness his talents baffles me to be honest. But hey, each to his own, and I love the little man. Glad you appreciate him too Bro.

43. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 21:30

@Gabriel: Where did I undermine them?. I in fact complimented them, because I said they were more team players in that they were willing to be part of a squad. Stop twisting things, I know where you live πŸ˜† .

44. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 21:33

@Grognard: Hey Grog, if Fergie would stop trying to accomodate Tev, Berba and Rooney into the team, because he paid so much for each one, he is ashamed to leave one out, and have his judgement questioned, then maybe our wingers would get the playing time they need πŸ˜† πŸ˜† .

45. Craig Mc

2 January 2009 at 21:36

@Nick: Nick Bro, do you really believe Fergie will risk a day at Wembley, with the revenue it will bring in, by playing a good proportion of the team players who have got us to the semis?. If he does, I will choke on the glass of lager pre match πŸ˜† . What Fergie says, and what he does is two different things πŸ™‚ .

46. JB

2 January 2009 at 21:47

@Craig Mc: Given that Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov have only started together at Anfield (anyone who can recall another occassion please jump in), it hardly stands up as a reason why any of the wingers are not getting game time.

@colver: Reading that, you must have been going mad when SAF sold Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis in 1995.

@Grognard: I think you are being a tad optimistic there πŸ˜† Just as likely he will become more demoralised. After all if he can’t get in the team because of a ‘talentless, no-hoper’ what chances does he have of getting past a decent player.

47. Gabriel

2 January 2009 at 22:06

@Craig Mc: lol πŸ˜† don’t mind me mate, that’s just what I read into…

Anyways, don’t worry about Nani and the latinos, believe me, you might not think so, but they are happy at United. They are winning medals, garnering increased fame and popularity all over the world and are loved dearly by the fans. I mean, the United fans are one of the best in the world. We would never boo our own player, we sing their songs heartily and the support Ronnie got after the world cup fiasco was nothing short of amazing. Compare that to Spain where the fans readily turn on their own and you’ll see these lads know they’ve got it good here.

48. Nino

2 January 2009 at 22:26

@JB: Colver does have a point though. Like he said, back in ’95 we had the Fledglings coming through when the veterans were booted out and the team was reshaped. Nowadays we just do not have anywhere near the same calibre of midfield talent coming through our own youth system. I think Colver realises that and is just wondering whether the talent that was brought from abroad to compensate (for the lack of quality youth players) will be good enough for us in a few years time.

49. Nelson Otieno

2 January 2009 at 22:29

@Grognard. I have a theory on why fergie went for Tosic,sounds a bit errrrr…. weird but here it goes. Deep down in Fergie’s heart he wants to retain Nani in the squad(though the current outlook suggests otherwise)but he feels that Nani isnt taking the chances he is giving him.Marin will no doubt be a good addition to the squad but that will surely lead to Nani’s departure.Marin is too good to be behind Nani in the pecking order(Craig Mc might disagree) Tosic on the other hand has the potential to make Nani park his bags and depart to sunny spain or wherever but this potential hasnt been put to the test.This makes Tosic a lesser threat to Nani as compared to Marin thus giving Nani a sort of guarantee to stay though he will know things are going to be a lot tougher.
    In summary if we were to get Marin then Nani will clearly know he is no longer required and Fergie has truly lost faith in him but by signing Tosic, he knows that the boss intends to give him a chance although he will have to really grab it by both hands before Tosic explodes. Its kind of a win situation for Fergie.He gets to retain Nani, chances of Nani improving increases and also has an exciting potential to unleash incase players get injured or loose form completely. I havent argued my theory well enough but i hope you get my point. I want to know your(and Craig Mc) theory. WHy would the boss choose tosic over marin despite the latter being proven(exclude the obvious price tag)

@Redranter. Lately have had problems posting comments in this site using the Opera Mini browser in my phone(and it only happens with this site). Does this site have any issues with Opera Mini that I sholud know about or is it purely a browser problem

50. Nino

2 January 2009 at 22:31

So finally Tosic has dropped his wage demands and decided to sign for us eh? Nothing against the lad, but I personally was hoping for the signing of a more experienced midfield player to give us a shot in the arm for the 2nd half of the season (Arshavin). Let’s see if Tosic turns out to be anywhere near as half as good as Giggsy!