Manchester United may have to wait to bring in RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano to Old Trafford.
The centre-back has been linked with some top English clubs, including United, Chelsea and Arsenal in the January transfer window.
However, according to Italian journalist and transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the German club has decided to not let go of the defender until the summer.
The defender is having a tremendous season with Leipzig, having made 14 appearances and scoring one goal so far.
Upamecano’s performance against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League game last season also received widespread praise from football pundits, making him one of the most sought-after talents in Europe.
The 22-year-old would be an ideal signing for United who are looking to boost their defensive forces.
The French international is an experienced customer, having played 134 games for Leipzig since joining the club from RB Salzburg in a deal worth £9 million in 2017.
Since then, apart from being a regular in the starting XI, Upamecano has also scored four goals and made two assists for the club. He was offered a new deal by Leipzig in the summer last year, thus keeping him at the club until 2023.
With Eric Bailly injury-prone, United are left with Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire playing the bulk of their games – and, this season, Lindelof’s back injury has further put manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in a bind.
The addition of Upamecano among the ranks will relieve some of the pressure off Lindelof and Maguire, and help United in keeping a fitter squad – something that has been one of Solskjaer’s biggest struggles since taking over the club.
Bringing in a centre-back with Upamecano’s credentials in the summer would also be a smart choice for United, considering he is being targeted by other top clubs.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa