Louis Van Gaal is “desperate” to sign Bayern Munich and Holland winger Arjen Robben, according to former Holland international Bryan Roy, who believes the incumbent United manager will try his hardest to convince Robben to leave the Allianz Arena.
Roy, a former Ajax player under Van Gaal who’s since taken on managerial duties with the Amsterdam club’s youth teams, claimed the Holland manager wants Arjen Robben to join him at Old Trafford after the World Cup this summer, despite the fact that 30-year-old is a pivotal figure for Bayern Munich and the German club are extremely unlikely to allow him to leave.
“I think Louis wants him desperately to come to Manchester United,” Roy said in an interview on talkSPORT.
“Bayern Munich is also a big club and he is very happy there but you never know. With football, everything is possible.”
Robben has been one of the standouts player of the tournament in Brazil so far, scoring twice in Holland’s 5-1 demolition on Spain, before netting his team’s opener in their second game against Australia and providing the assist for Memphis Depay’s goal in the Oranje’s 2-0 win against Chile in their final game of the group.
The Dutchman has been in formidable form for Bayern Munich, scoring 34 goals and assisting a further 30 in 76 appearances over the last two seasons as Bayern claimed two consecutive Bundesliga titles and two consecutive German Cups as well as the Champions League in 2012-13.
Robben’s contract with Bayern runs out in 2017 but with Van Gaal reportedly handled a £200m budget, will the United manager attempt to prise the Dutchman away from Bavaria?
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills