Marcus Rashford scored the only goal of the game, netting after just 16 minutes, and United looked in control for an hour but were forced to cling on their slender lead in the final 30 minutes.
“I’ve seen the dressing room after the match and it was fantastic, the happiness,” said Van Gaal.
“I don’t think we’ve had a lot of luck this season and now we have a big result in the Etihad Stadium.”
The United manager added that his players felt they could bridge the gap with top four and see off a challenge from West Ham and City to clinch a Champions League spot for next season.
“We are one point behind, equal with West Ham, with more home matches than away matches, so we have a big possibility [of a top-four finish],” he said.
“The players feel that, and I can only give a compliment to all of them.
“I said in advance we must win and we’ve done it, so I’m very happy, otherwise the gap would be too big if they had won or we had drawn.
“Now we have to win our games. We have more home matches than away matches and we don’t lose often at Old Trafford.”
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta