If there’s any Manchester United player who is in the news for all the good reasons in recent weeks, it is Mason Greenwood.
His breakthrough season under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the 18-year-old was involved in 22 goals [17G, 5A] in all competitions. He matched the record set by United legends George Best and Wayne Rooney.
His consistent performances and impressive numbers didn’t go unnoticed. It convinced England boss Gareth Southgate to give him his first international first-call up.
Southgate named the teenager in his 24-man squad ahead of the upcoming Three Lion’s UEFA Nation’s League fixtures against Iceland and Denmark at the start of the next month.
Although Spurs striker Harry Kane leads the attack for Three Lions, former United frontman Wayne Rooney believes that Greenwood should be the first one among the bench for the occasions when Kane is unavailable. Rooney also lauded the youngster’s finishing skills comparing it with Kane, former England great Michael Owen and himself.
The 34-year old revealed in his latest column for The Times:
“Greenwood made 40 appearances in Europe and the Premier League in 2019-20, compared with Foden’s 28, and he is a natural scorer, good with both feet, a taker of chances, calm in front of goal.
“He is probably the best finisher at United already at the age of 18 and in goalscorers you can just see it from day one — Harry Kane and Michael Owen had the knack and it’s the same with Greenwood.
“As I’ve said before, I wasn’t a natural scorer.”
United’s all-time top scorer also thinks that Greenwood can be an appropriate deputy for Kane.
“That knack is rare and Gareth needs a proper deputy for Kane, someone he can slot in if Harry is injured or suspended.
“For me, Marcus Rashford is not such a natural scorer and nor is Tammy Abraham. But Greenwood can be that player.”
Whether Greenwood will get his chance on his very first international call or not remains to be seen as Southgate has plenty of decent options upfront which includes his own club teammate Rashford, Danny Ings and Abraham.
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion