Manchester United skipper, Wayne Rooney, is unlikely to leave the club this month, but he is all set to depart in the summer.
Rooney is determined to see the season out. The situation could only change if he receives a lucrative last minute offer from China or if United actively tell him he can depart.
According to reports from the Guardian, Rooney’s agent, Paul Stretford, has flown to China to see if he can negotiate a deal for his client. However, any move will most likely take place after the end of the season.
Jose Mourinho claimed earlier this week that Rooney could leave for China before their transfer window closes next Tuesday.
The comments about Rooney’s future has stunned the skipper, as neither the player nor his representatives had expected the United manager to make such bold claims.
Rooney has started in just eight Premier League matches this season, and unless his situation improves, he has no intention to see out the remaining year of his contract.
He is clearly behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Anthony Martial, Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Henrikh Mkhitaryan in the Old Trafford pecking order. Although Rooney does not want to make a rash decision, he is frustrated by the lack of game time under Mourinho.
Rooney had been approached by Chinese club, Tianjin Quanjian. However, they later dropped the idea as they felt the player would not suit their style of play.
Also, the other two Chinese clubs linked with Rooney, SIPG and Shenhua, do not have any interest in him which means his options are limited.
Rooney missed United’s 1-0 victory at St Etienne on Wednesday night through injury, and he is doubtful for the EFL cup final on Sunday as well.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash