The Red Devils scored an early goal via Bruno Fernandes but Liverpool came back strong to net twice before going into the break.
Right after half-time, Liverpool extended their lead following Dean Henderson’s error.
He spilt a shot straight into Roberto Firmino’s path who scored his second goal of the night to hand Liverpool a safety net.
Marcus Rashford pulled one goal back but the 90th-minute goal from Mohamed Salah sealed a massive victory for the Reds.
Fernandes gave an honest assessment of the game after he was quizzed about today’s performance.
He told MUTV: “We played side to side, we tried to do what we trained at. When you go down, playing 45 minutes against a team like Liverpool, we tried to push a little bit more and create danger.
“We gave more space to them, and they took that space and we conceded another two goals.
“Everyone was disappointed in the dressing room because we made mistakes but we’ll learn from that and we have to keep improving.
“We are not at our best yet. We started well, we score, we created more chances after that.”
“We concede two goals from set-pieces and we know we have to work on that. We concede many goals this season from set-pieces.
“As I said, we are disappointed in the dressing room and we have to improve, we have to be better and we have to do it in the next game against Fulham to secure second place.
“We score and we try to push a little more but that’s it. We gave more space and we conceded the fourth goal, this time on the counter.
“That’s it, it’s frustrating because we know, we’re trying to win the game but it was not enough.”
Fernandes on wearing the captain’s armband
The Portuguese was given the chance to lead United with Harry Maguire on the sidelines.
It was the first time he wore the captain’s armband in the Premier League. He had previously served as United’s captain in the Champions League match against Paris Saint-Germain.
He added: “I think everyone knows it’s the biggest honour to have the armband in the game for the club.
“I’m another one. I am proud of that. As I said, like after Paris, it’s a dream come true.”
On Tuesday, the Red Devils will host already-relegated Fulham. A victory in that game will seal second spot n the Premier League.
It is vital that Solskjaer’s team regain their winning form before the Europa League final against Villarreal on May 26.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham