As a United fan old enough to remember the much fabled and often talked-about United v Barcelona match at Old Trafford in 1984, it’s difficult to offer any other game to challenge it as the greatest ever European match especially as I was there to witness it and be part of the electric atmosphere that will arguably never be replicated.
Older Reds will surely have other matches in mind like Wembley ’68 or the home leg of the semi-final versus Real Madrid in the same year.
Younger Reds could suggest Rooney’s debut, the Roma demolition or more recently Scholes’ volleyed winner against Barcelona in ’08 to send United to a Moscow final with Chelsea. What’s yours?
This collection (available to buy via Amazon) of UEFA Great Matches of European Football doesn’t solely concentrate on United unfortunately, but it does start with us and the greatest, probably most memorable comeback of all-time……you know it, Barcelona ’99.
From there the five discs chronicle matches from the old European Cup, the UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup alongside matches from European Championships and many more from the ‘new’ Champions League. Maybe your favourite is amongst them and not even a United match, after all, not everyone’s a biased as I am.
Here’s the official preview:
An action-packed collection of great games that will never be forgotten. The history of the UEFA competition is filled with remarkable matches that have surpassed expectation. The best of these classic encounters, from recent showdowns to vintage matches, are captured in this series providing fans with a marvellous trip down memory lane as well as enrapturing a new generation of football supporters.
Each part of this official UEFA release includes a classic comeback, an unforgettable final, a big win, a landmark match and an edge-of-yourseat thriller. From Manchester United s two goals in extra time to win the 1999 Champions League to Liverpool s incredible victory over AC Milan after being 3-0 down at half time to win the 2005 tournament, this collection provides highlights of timeless games that can be savoured by football fans everywhere.
Relive the remarkable 1960 European Cup Final that saw Real Madrid record an astounding 7-3 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt; watch Antonìn Panenka s infamous chipped penalty that won the 1976 European Championship for Czeckoslovakia; and recall Chelsea s 4-2 win against Barcelona in the 2005 Champions League, plus many more magic moments in this superb set of programmes that are a must-watch for any lover of the beautiful game.
RedRants are again giving away a copy of the DVD to one lucky winner who correctly answers the following question:
Q: Who scored United’s winning goal versus Bayern Munich in Barcelona’s Nou Camp Stadium in 1999?
You MUST still be following us when the competition closes to win the prize.
Competition ends at Midnight (UK) on Friday 24th August 2012. Good luck everyone! Competition is open Worldwide.
You can also purchase your own copy from Amazon for just £13.99.
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start